thin + lethargic russian tortoise

Marissa S.

5 Year Member
My tortoise had been doing well in general health until I left home for three weeks for camp and he was left in the care of my parents. But when I came back he looked severely emaciated and was not doing well overall. His shell, which had only recently healed, begun looking like it was flaking again, and even though I started up his usual routine when I came back home, he hasn't looked any healthier. On top of looking much much much thinner, he has been more lethargic lately. It started about a month and a half ago, where he used to roam around the house a lot, but now he doesn't.

I soak him three times a week, his cage is kept at only seventy five degrees but a heat bulb is coming in tomorrow. I feed him a mixture of lettuce, kale, and collard greens, and occasionally a spring salad mix. He used to eat dandelions from my yard, but those have died off recently. Once to twice a week I dust his food with calcium.

I'm started to get very worried.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
None of your photos os loading for me. :(

It seems very unusual that a tort should visibly lose so much weight in such a short amount of time.

You need to weigh your tort weekly, at roughly the same time of day each time, so you actually know what’s going on.

I recommend you take a fresh poop sample to a vet and get it checked for parasites.

I also recommend you read the TFO care guides if you haven't already

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Pics didn't show for me either.
You didn't mention a basking temp. That has to be 95-100 under a basking bulb in order for your tort to properly digest its food. If they cant, they will get sick and stop eating.