This Doesn't Look Right

Dfwgolden

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I am new here, I joined in hopes of learning as well as finding an adult sulcata in need of a home.

I'm still on the hunt for a sulcata but today while looking I stumbled across an add online for a Leopard Tortoise.

I don't know anything about the species at all. But when I saw the photos I intially thought to myself that his shell seemed to be pyramiding. Am I wrong? From what pictures I looked up I saw no other leopard torts like this. The guy selling him claims he's healthy but my gut says otherwise?

Anyone know?

Attachments

• IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1283.JPG
    IMG_1283.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1284.JPG
    IMG_1284.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 47

Beep-Beep

Hong Kong
Hey Dfwgolden,
I'm totally new to the tortoise world but from what I have learned so far, pyramiding does not necessarily mean the tort is unhealthy. This particular cutie went through a period of time under less than optimal conditions.
The Knowledgeable Ones on this forum may be able to tell whether the tort is still pyramiding today or has stabilized since. They will probably tell you much more !

I'll be following. I've morphed into a sponge :)

Cheers,
Beep-Beep

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That is pretty severe pyramiding. Poor thing may or may not have other issues. Still has some growing to do, so if his environment was corrected, new growth could be flatter.

Dfwgolden

Texas
This is what the post says-
3 year old female Leopard tortoise raised from a hatchling
around 20 lbs now and 13 inches long
Healthy and friendly
No shipping local only
$250

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most people outside of this forum raise leopard tortoises far too dry. They mistakenly believe that leopard tortoises need "desert" conditions. The tortoise in the pic was grown this way.

If the diet was good and the tortoise got lots of real sunshine, then it is probably healthy inside, even though the outside is misshapen.

Dfwgolden

Texas
Thanks tom!
I was really worried I was gonna have to fight the urge to pay $250 and drive a 10 hour round trip to rescue a tortoise

I'd have him at the vet the next day in ICU!

Ask my vets I'll bring just about anything in regardless of what it is.

It's how I acquired many of my odd pets over the years.
Lucky for me I learn quickly and there are many forums out there for assistance.

My box turtle was also a rescue.
Dropped over $300 on that little turd on less than 48 hours.
He's spoiled to say the least.

I had no knowledge of box turtle care so I spent all night reading. And went to the store the next day. Now he has a custom outdoor enclosure which I plan to upgrade soon.