This happened this morning!!

FredinMotul

Location (City and/or State)
Motul, Yucatan, MX
In Retirement in Rural Mexico, I have purchased some fine babies from my "Fancy" Pet Shop in Merida. Early on, I purchased 5 Florida Soft Shells. Over the years, they have been given larger and larger enclosures until our home was finished along with my Laboratory and large Turtle Pond. Last Year, I found a baby in good shape in the pond. I was surprised because I still thought of these guys as Juveniles. This year, I waited and found a nest with 7 eggs. Pulled them for safety, and incubated them. Today, they all hatched with only one that is still not super active. But a 100% hatch rate makes me happy. Some day, my Yellow Spotted Side Necks will do the same, I hope. (Yes, Podocnemis unifilis with legal paperwork!!) I will attempt to attach pictures.

IMG_5378.JPG Wiggly little guys!! IMG_5369.JPG This is an Infertile Egg collected the same day. Here to show the size.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
In Retirement in Rural Mexico, I have purchased some fine babies from my "Fancy" Pet Shop in Merida. Early on, I purchased 5 Florida Soft Shells. Over the years, they have been given larger and larger enclosures until our home was finished along with my Laboratory and large Turtle Pond. Last Year, I found a baby in good shape in the pond. I was surprised because I still thought of these guys as Juveniles. This year, I waited and found a nest with 7 eggs. Pulled them for safety, and incubated them. Today, they all hatched with only one that is still not super active. But a 100% hatch rate makes me happy. Some day, my Yellow Spotted Side Necks will do the same, I hope. (Yes, Podocnemis unifilis with legal paperwork!!) I will attempt to attach pictures.

View attachment 347052 Wiggly little guys!! View attachment 347053 This is an Infertile Egg collected the same day. Here to show the size.
Congratulations. I'd love to see the spotted sidenecks produce

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hm-m-m. . . my Florida softshells' babies aren't black like that.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
You and me BOTH. I love living here and Never Ever having to heat anybody! (Except my Sulcata when she was a baby!)

That’s a good thing for sure. I need to look up Motul & see where that is located. Ive been looking at the Lake Chapala area in Jalisco.

FredinMotul

Motul, Yucatan, MX
Hm-m-m. . . my Florida softshells' babies aren't black like that.
These pictures were taken only hours after they hatched, and certainly before they finished "unfurling" from the confines of the egg. They are somewhat lighter today, and will be much lighter in a few days time, however, have you compared your babies to the ones listed on Google Images? Many there are as dark as mine, and of course, many are lighter. For sure, mine have the "camouflage" pattern on the body of the shell, and the orange highlights around the edge and the yellow highlights on the head and neck. (Those remind me of human neck tattoos that cause instant regret!) Really excited to have successfully raised the parents and hatched babies from them.

FredinMotul

Motul, Yucatan, MX
That’s a good thing for sure. I need to look up Motul & see where that is located. Ive been looking at the Lake Chapala area in Jalisco.
Lake Chapala is magnificent, but for us, we are happier in the Yucatan. Lived and worked here 30+ years ago, and never forgot the kind wonderful people, delicious foods, and near perfect climate. Here in Motul, there are very few other Ex-Pats and that forces us to continue to improve our Spanish and learn some Maya as well. We love it.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I'm hearing EX-PAT talk, you guys!! There are some beautiful places in the world.....we looked in Jamaica, Costa Rica, Belize and the lower Eastern Mexican coast, below Cozumel

We love traveling and meeting Ex-pats on vac. Years ago I joined the Expat forum and began the search. We found that you guys gave us the best educations, in the shortest amount of time. It quickly became apparent that Kerry's family ties had to be considered, or we'd go broke flying her back and forth! She wasn't as flexible about moving out of a 1st world country either. She likes the availability of goods and services here.

For us personally, since we aren't really looking at leaving the US but for a second (third?) home we came to the conclusion that given all the options, we'd be best served by renting overseas for a month or 6 while we're in that particular country instead of buying and being stuck is a single place.

Congrats on the hatchlings and keep Maro in line if he shows up down there............he'll want to muck up the lakes and byways with his kayaks....