Thistles

Brett dee

Location (City and/or State)
South Yorkshire
Yes it's safe. There are a couple that aren't. Check this link out.

Brett dee

South Yorkshire
Thanks do I need to do anything with the spikes or will he be ok munching on them I don’t want them to hurt his throat

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, he will be fine. If it makes you nerves though, you can just chop some of it up or chop the ends with the spikes off. But you don't have too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can my Herman tortoise eat thistles they are very spiky and I don’t want him to hurt himself
I feed regular thistle, milk thistle, and sow thistle to all of my tortoises, along with lots of other spiky things like "spineless" opuntia that really isn't spineless at all. It should be called "less spined" opuntia. I don't do anything to remove or cut spines and all of my tortoises of all species have been eating it this way for many years.

Brett dee

South Yorkshire
I feed regular thistle, milk thistle, and sow thistle to all of my tortoises, along with lots of other spiky things like "spineless" opuntia that really isn't spineless at all. It should be called "less spined" opuntia. I don't do anything to remove or cut spines and all of my tortoises of all species have been eating it this way for many years.
Thanks