Thoughts on Mazuri tortoise diet ls?

Katiehu

Location (City and/or State)
SOUTH CAROLINA
My sulcata is 1 years old. He gets calcium once a week. When he gets his calcium I give him some mazuri pellets to mix with the calcium. I’ve heard many different opinions on this. Please let me know. If it isn’t the best for them, what should I replace it with? He doesn’t like to eat his calcium so I try to mix it into stuff, he’ll only eat the calcium if I mix it with pellets. Even if I put it on veggies he won’t eat it. I do have cuttle bones in his enclosure that he nibbles on.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
My sulcata is 1 years old. He gets calcium once a week. When he gets his calcium I give him some mazuri pellets to mix with the calcium. I’ve heard many different opinions on this. Please let me know. If it isn’t the best for them, what should I replace it with? He doesn’t like to eat his calcium so I try to mix it into stuff, he’ll only eat the calcium if I mix it with pellets. Even if I put it on veggies he won’t eat it. I do have cuttle bones in his enclosure that he nibbles on.
My tortoise enjoys Mazuri LS, Sammy eats about 1 cup a day with his green grasses, clovers and other greens. I soak them in warm water first. I used to give him calcium powder on his food when he was small, but now that he bigger he likes his cuttlebone. Sammy will be 4 yrs old on December 21, just about 45 lbs.

Attachments

• 20211213_180145.jpg
    20211213_180145.jpg
    629.2 KB · Views: 20

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mazuri made the LS as a more nutritionally appropriate offering over the tried and true original type 5M21.
Most keepers, myself included have found that although most tortoises LOVE the 5M21, most tortoises also dislike the LS.
If your tortoise will eat it, it's a great addition to the diet and very handy to have.
If your tortoise doesn't like the LS, it's not unusual.
Either formula is a great option in moderation.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A note on the calcium powder: Most tortoises don't like it and if you put too much on the food they won't eat it. All you need is a tiny pinch between your thumb and index finger. I have had success putting calcium powder in a very small plastic lid. It's available to them all the time and they take it as needed.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Im with Warren on this issue. I have a few cuttlebones in our Sullys (now indoor) enclosure. Every so often, one disappears. I place them near where we feed our Sully, so it‘s always there when she needs - but not sprinkked on top.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Im with Warren on this issue. I have a few cuttlebones in our Sullys (now indoor) enclosure. Every so often, one disappears. I place them near where we feed our Sully, so it‘s always there when she needs - but not sprinkked on top.
I place some cuttlebone peices around my pens.
Usually I throw them away when the get fouled.
Occasionally one or two of my tortoises eat them.
They seem to know when it's required

TaylorTortoise

Abington
A note on the calcium powder: Most tortoises don't like it and if you put too much on the food they won't eat it. All you need is a tiny pinch between your thumb and index finger. I have had success putting calcium powder in a very small plastic lid. It's available to them all the time and they take it as needed.
Interesting… might try this separation

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I place some cuttlebone peices around my pens.
Usually I throw them away when the get fouled.
Occasionally one or two of my tortoises eat them.
They seem to know when it's required
There's no need to throw them away, if they are big enough to save and they get soiled with poo or dirt. Just rinse them off with clean water, and let dry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do't mix calcium with the pellets. The Mazuri is carefully balanced. Added calcium upsets that balance.

Like Yvonne said, just a tiny pinch, and mix it all up well. Tort should hardly know it is there.