Tiny Tales

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Tiny was 17 lbs this month. I moved him into a larger surround in April. About 2x the size. But I had to abandon his buried hide box. He has a dog house now , & next winter I'll heat it.

But ... in less than a week he was digging a new tunnel along the edge of the surround. I just let it go. It must be quite cozy by now. He comes out all covered in sand. Who knows how deep it goes. He much prefers his cave to the doghouse. Lol.
I like allowing him to have his cave. That is natural to them - instinctive. I have a 50 lb rescue in my back yard who lives under the shed. That hole is large. Could be 30' long by now. That one " Sal" has the run of about a 1/4 acre. He grazes mainly on grass & weeds. Any activity in the yard & he comes to you for possible treats. He loves Optunia Cactus pads & Hibiscus. I'll try & get some photos of him soon too.

It's rained all morning, but I'll take some shots of Tiny when it stops.

Alaskamike

South Florida
DE51D0EA-AE0F-4A9F-88E9-295733B0DF6F.jpeg 19lbs today. Still going deep into his tunnel nightly. But this coming weekend supposed to get down to 50f at night.

Time to block off tunnel & put in heated night box.
His usual sand covered self

Alaskamike

South Florida
449F439E-8C89-48E4-B285-5C5F0084EC4F.jpeg 6D68BD15-7B70-4DFB-A11B-50779A48DD6B.jpeg Wanted to show the difference in Tiny over time.
This first photo is now , 3 yrs after adoption at 19lbs.

The bottom is Tiny the day I adopted him at 2.3 lbs. I think it’s clear the improvement in the pyramiding. But it will never fully go away at that time the flares over his front legs were rubbing & cutting into his skin. I took a file to them. He hasn’t had that problem in a long time. He was also prone to eye infections , about every 4 mos seemed I was treating him with ophthalmology cream.

That hasn’t reoccurred in over a year.