Tiny white flies

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
Today, when my hatchling RF was in his water dish, I noticed tiny white flies walking around his shell and face. I've seen mites on snakes and these did not look like that. I counted 5 in total. Not sure if I'll be able to get a pic because they are so small. Any idea what they may be or how to get rid of them?
Thanks!

Prairie Mom

Today, when my hatchling RF was in his water dish, I noticed tiny white flies walking around his shell and face. I've seen mites on snakes and these did not look like that. I counted 5 in total. Not sure if I'll be able to get a pic because they are so small. Any idea what they may be or how to get rid of them?
Thanks!
They may be "whiteflies" which I've heard members complain that they are attracted to their exotic plants. Yvonne G gave some good advice to another forum member in the Garden chat thread on this page: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/garden-chat-photos-for-torts-and-people-♫-♫.104546/page-44#post-1053437

A few months ago I dealt with what I believe were Springtails in a closed chamber. I must have brought them in with some plants and they multiplied. They were teeny tiny little white bugs that went everywhere including on my tortoise. They didn't cause any damage, but I still wanted them gone and away from my beloved pet. They were constantly infesting the water dish. Every single day I used the shop vac to suck out all the water (so I wouldn't accidentally spill the bugs back into the substrate). As time went on their numbers became few and finally non-existent.

I'm hoping someone else can offer some good insight and that you're able to get rid of whatever critters you have! Good luck!