N2TORTS

5 Year Member
it's just a job ..... the other is a passion ~ :p

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
The box is done! I'm having some trouble uploading the pics right now, but I'll add them once I can.

I caulked the corners, painted it an olive green color and used hickory colored shingles for the roof. I did paint the roof under the shingles, too.

Hinges are on the top and the door. I just need to add the locks. So I guess it's "almost" done.

The roof slopes backwards and off to the sides. Rain run off should be fine. The door is 5"high x 6"wide. I added another roof shingle for traction when the door is open.

I am no expert builder and my husband definitely could have done a much better job at it than I did.. but overall I like it. It's cute and will get the job done. I secured it with some screws after hammering it down into the dirt. It sits really low and based on your experience lynnedit, i'm hoping my future russian will like the low clearance as well.

I piled up some dirt around the front and corners plus added some rock. Right outside the tortoise door is my mosaic walkway. Its slate tiles to make a cute garden pathway for the tortoise. I can also feed on it if needed and they can double as basking areas.

Now let me try and get those pictures up!!...

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Missouri
WOWEEEEE! That is incredible!

N2TORTS said:
Here are some enclosure idea's like you mention. The large area itself is fully wired ( caged in) , in one of the sections there is a hide that is made from old doors. It can be folded down for a ramp to allow you torts to walk out ,along with a hinged lid....so the top can completely open, allowing for easy access to them. All of these can remain "outside" but still provide a heated locked source for your shelled buddies.
Happy building ..........
JD~:)

torthabitat1_zps0f6e8c82.jpg
torthabitat2_zpsd6c9b692.jpg
tortscondo3_zpsee16b6d6.jpg
torthabitat8_zps6919f5af.jpg
redshut1_zps62c7395d.jpg

other outdoor hides can made to lock up too.......
p1010405_zps12f12455.jpg
p1010416_zps2be68c3e.jpg

or just hides that dont lock , that can remain in the " hut " yet provide an extra security of warmth and comfort.....
KingsCage_zpsf2d8176e.jpg
KingsCage2_zps3d758ce3.jpg
TC12Hol4.jpg
hyhide1.jpg
hyhide.jpg
hyphide5.jpg
TTh.jpg

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Anxious to see your pics Heather. Also great ideas all of you for the underground cool spot. I am inspired. Now I know what to do with the plastic container I bought for a soaking tub that was too big to dump when filled with water. I will bury it underground.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
ok the pics are working now.. had to re boot my phone.

I have not yet put up the pen walls but that just works out for a better view of the house.
21d3czt.jpg

2zdvv6h.jpg

aka63r.jpg

i did have to cut a little from the plastic tote lip.
qn2xbt.jpg

added a little more dirt to the inside so the plastic tote lip is covered (at least for now)
also, the lid has that extra piece of wood on it and the shingles slope to the sides because of that. i figure it just is a little extra help.
124bptt.jpg

the mosaic walkway i made covered by badly overgrown weeds and grass since no one is in there to eat them!
2ufrg5c.jpg

next up is assembling the walls. i finished painting it all today so that should happen soon. then i can finally let someone move in ;)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
*round of applause*

Well done. Those shingles will settle in nicely. A little rain will come in the door when it is open, but that will help keep the soil inside a bit moist.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Good job. Those overgrown weeds will soon be a thing of the past. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.