Tips to properly heat a 4x2x2 enclosure

MakJ

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I recently purchased a larger enclosure so my Western Hermann’s juvenile would have more space to roam. He is currently about 3 inches and growing. But, I am struggling keeping the larger enclosure at the proper temperature. On his old enclosure I was using a 50w bulb and it was about 18 in tall. This enclosure is 24 in tall and so I purchased a 100w. But, am noticing it is not properly heating the rest of the enclosure. It needs to be 95-100 degrees under the basking spot. I do also have a second 50w heat lamp on the other side to create a temperature gradient. But, am not seeing any difference in temp. Any tips to increase the temperature?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
We need a couple more details:
1. Is this is a "closed type" (aka vivarium) enclosure?
2. What lamps (exact models would be great) do you use?
3. Do you use plain lamp sockets or domes? What kind of domes if any?
4. Do you run lamps as is or with a dimming thermostat?
5. What are the temperatures and how do you measure them?

idcowden

Walton-on-Thames
I recently purchased a larger enclosure so my Western Hermann’s juvenile would have more space to roam. He is currently about 3 inches and growing. But, I am struggling keeping the larger enclosure at the proper temperature. On his old enclosure I was using a 50w bulb and it was about 18 in tall. This enclosure is 24 in tall and so I purchased a 100w. But, am noticing it is not properly heating the rest of the enclosure. It needs to be 95-100 degrees under the basking spot. I do also have a second 50w heat lamp on the other side to create a temperature gradient. But, am not seeing any difference in temp. Any tips to increase the temperature?
Surely unless you are keeping his enclosure in a fridge it's only the basking spot that needs to be heated. Everywhere else can be room temperature.

I always think of it as a charging spot for Tortoises. Once they have charged themselves up with heat, they will wander off to do what they want and then go back to sleep again.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Surely unless you are keeping his enclosure in a fridge it's only the basking spot that needs to be heated. Everywhere else can be room temperature.

I always think of it as a charging spot for Tortoises. Once they have charged themselves up with heat, they will wander off to do what they want and then go back to sleep again.
The day day ambient temps are recommended to be in the high 70s. Not everyone's house is that warm, so some need to resort to ambient heat control.

MakJ

Washington
Hello!
We need a couple more details:
1. Is this is a "closed type" (aka vivarium) enclosure?
2. What lamps (exact models would be great) do you use?
3. Do you use plain lamp sockets or domes? What kind of domes if any?
4. Do you run lamps as is or with a dimming thermostat?
5. What are the temperatures and how do you measure them?
This enclosure is not a closed type but I am planning to cover the mesh top so that the heat and humidity stay in more (open to suggestions on what material I should use for that). I have one zoomed double dome (not sure if that’s the exact title) for uvb and heat. And then I have a flukers heat lamp on the other side of it. I don’t have the lamps on a dimming thermostat at all, and my tempatures should be about 95-100 in the basking spot and 80-85 ambient in the enclosure. I measure them using two zoo med gauges, one is a dual heat and humidity gauge for the “cool” end of the enclosure and the other is a just heat and gauge on under the basking spot. I saw online that some people suggested using a chicken brooder lamp and was curious if anyone had experience with that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Not quite right info here. The day temps should range from 75-80 with the basking of 95-100. Night temps should be 65-70. So, if a person's house is kept cooler then the stated temps, day heat is needed.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
This enclosure is not a closed type but I am planning to cover the mesh top so that the heat and humidity stay in more (open to suggestions on what material I should use for that). I have one zoomed double dome (not sure if that’s the exact title) for uvb and heat. And then I have a flukers heat lamp on the other side of it. I don’t have the lamps on a dimming thermostat at all, and my tempatures should be about 95-100 in the basking spot and 80-85 ambient in the enclosure. I measure them using two zoo med gauges, one is a dual heat and humidity gauge for the “cool” end of the enclosure and the other is a just heat and gauge on under the basking spot. I saw online that some people suggested using a chicken brooder lamp and was curious if anyone had experience with that.
1. You can cover or wrap the mesh with a tin foil. Usually it's sufficient. Sometimes it's easier to remove the mesh screens and put a portable greenhouse on top to keep all lights and heaters inside the enclosure and have some room to adjust height for lamp fixtures.
2. Double lamp domes don't work good - they are too narrow to make a good basking area. And chicken brooder lamp is a good alternative (you need only the lampshade not the bulb), because are usually wider than "reptile light" domes.
3. For ambient heat outside basking zone it's better to use ceramic heat emitter with a thermostat to control temperatures day and night.
4. Analog gauges aren't precise enough - you can get simple digital humidity/temperature meters from a hardware store.
5. Unless your tortoise is sick you don't really need 80+F ambient temperature (see the post above for the recommended temps).

Can you post some photos of the enclosure and the labels on the lamps (or their packaging)?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Some chicken brooder bulbs are red and shouldn't be used. That being said you could only buy the dome. I actually use a chicken brooder dome myself and it has been working well.

idcowden

Walton-on-Thames
The day day ambient temps are recommended to be in the high 70s. Not everyone's house is that warm, so some need to resort to ambient heat control.
Really?

Vet says 15 to 30c (60 to 85f). The basking spot is providing the 85f+ and the area around will get steadily cooler from there, no?
https://lafeber.com/vet/basic-information-sheet-hermanns-tortoise/#:~:text=Daytime temperatures should range from,75°F) at night.&text=Artificial UVB lighting is recommended for captive specimens.

I suppose the OP will be running air conditioning that is likely to make the place cooler and less humid. DIdn't think of that!