Toad ID Please

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
But after I took him out of the water and put antibiotic ointment on his belly and dipped his foot in antibiotic mixed with water and did a Baytril treatment then put him back in the bin, he has moved around some. I haven't seen him go back in the water, but he's moved half the length of the tank and around a bit. So I think that's an improvement over how he was before I did the Baytril because before he would just lay there with his face almost on the floor of the bin, like he couldn't support himself. After the Baytril, he is now sitting proud and proper, like a toad should.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
But after I took him out of the water and put antibiotic ointment on his belly and dipped his foot in antibiotic mixed with water and did a Baytril treatment then put him back in the bin, he has moved around some. I haven't seen him go back in the water, but he's moved half the length of the tank and around a bit. So I think that's an improvement over how he was before I did the Baytril because before he would just lay there with his face almost on the floor of the bin, like he couldn't support himself. After the Baytril, he is now sitting proud and proper, like a toad should.
Sounds hopeful.
Fingers crossed.
And as for the bulb, well it's in a worthy cause.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Well he's still alive but I'm not sure if he's getting better. The area around his stomach wound is increasing in redness and he's starting to sit leaning to the right (his left leg is the injured foot). The bump on the back looks like it's coming to a "head" but the skin/flesh on the underside seems to be turning to mush?

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I'm doing honey soaks for energy, Baytril, original neosporin, etc. I also haven't seen him eat. He does go and soak himself in his water dish but generally doesn't move around much

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Yeah I'm worried he's not going to make it. I'm actually starting to think it might be better to help him "pass on". I've helped toads with cuts and scrapes and wounds like the one on his stomach before. There's usually new skin growth by now. Not a lot of new skin growth, but some. This guy has no new skin growth (even though he keeps shedding along his back legs and hips) and it is just looking worse and worse. I don't know. I'll give him a while longer with the Baytril and such.

Thoughts?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yeah I'm worried he's not going to make it. I'm actually starting to think it might be better to help him "pass on". I've helped toads with cuts and scrapes and wounds like the one on his stomach before. There's usually new skin growth by now. Not a lot of new skin growth, but some. This guy has no new skin growth (even though he keeps shedding along his back legs and hips) and it is just looking worse and worse. I don't know. I'll give him a while longer with the Baytril and such.

Thoughts?
Keep at it for a while.
He may turn the corner.
Sometimes they simply can't adjust to captivity and the stress makes things worse when he's in shock anyway.
But I'd give him a while longer, or just release him and let nature take its course.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I've never cared for a toad but I think they are darling. I hope he turns the corner. Just try a bit longer!!! He may start coming around!

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Yeah that's what I was thinking, the stress of captivity. That's why I have him in an area that has almost no activity all day and I only 'bother' him one time for meds, then leave him alone the rest of the day. I peak in a few times, but he can't see me.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I'm definitely thinking the toe area of his foot is going to need to go, but I'm hoping it will fall off on its own. I'm monitoring it to make sure it doesn't spread or get worse, though. So far it looks like one toe itself will fall off on its own since it's now shriveled up. If it can fall off on its own, I think good strong healing of that foot can start. so I'm continuing the antiseptic foot dips for it and all the other stuff.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
We'll, toad took the decision out of my hands. He's dead.

Just to give perspective on what I meant by the bump on his back "coming to a head", here's a picture.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440175797.956155.jpg

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
This is a BUFO toad. They can survive a nuclear strike. He'll be fine. They have no predators....except weed eaters.
I dont think so... Ive never seen one of those before but his toad Ive had many as pets. They are common in ohio. I think Yvonne is correct. But the ones around here are also quite easy to keep as pets and heal well from injuries..

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I believe thats a broken bone. Maybe a rib being pushed out of place by swelling from internal injuries? He could have suvived the foot but probably not internal injuries...good try.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
You can never tell with toads and frogs what they are capable of surviving. Just 2 weeks ago i drove over a large frog and I swore i actually felt it hit under the car. I went back to check and sure enough there he was laying still as can be on his back all stretched out. I was on an old country road so no other cars and felt safe enough just opening the car door to take a peek. Looked totally dead. I used a pencil to touch its leg and leg didnt jump or anything but THEN i saw his throat move. He took a breath. Then nothing. Then another breath. SOOOOOO I grabbed some napkins and picked him up and put it right side up on my car floor on the pasenger side and drove home figuring maybe he's just knocked out. Long story short, half way home he woke up...

I kept him a week and released him in the reserve about a block from where i found him....