Toad ID Please

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
You can never tell with toads and frogs what they are capable of surviving. Just 2 weeks ago i drove over a large frog and I swore i actually felt it hit under the car. I went back to check and sure enough there he was laying still as can be on his back all stretched out. I was on an old country road so no other cars and felt safe enough just opening the car door to take a peek. Looked totally dead. I used a pencil to touch its leg and leg didnt jump or anything but THEN i saw his throat move. He took a breath. Then nothing. Then another breath. SOOOOOO I grabbed some napkins and picked him up and put it right side up on my car floor on the pasenger side and drove home figuring maybe he's just knocked out. Long story short, half way home he woke up...

I kept him a week and released him in the reserve about a block from where i found him....

I'm glad yours survived. I know they can be quite resilient as I have a wild road that lives in my yard that lost a foot somehow yet was able to heal and thrive without any difficulty. I still see him from time to time but he's pretty shy and relatively small in comparison to this toad and others on my property.

I believe thats a broken bone. Maybe a rib being pushed out of place by swelling from internal injuries? He could have suvived the foot but probably not internal injuries...good try.

You know, I didn't even think of that. Considering it was a weed wacker that injured him, I didn't even think about internal injuries. I thought maybe it was botfly or something.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Well, thank you. I didn't realize it wasn't a practice as common as trying to save any other wildlife
I think lot of people would try and save a toad if they could. maybe not to the extent that you or I would. there are people who wouldn't try To nurse it back to health but maybe they would pick it up and put it in the grass. still good people. I personally like being in the first category.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I think lot of people would try and save a toad if they could. maybe not to the extent that you or I would. there are people who wouldn't try To nurse it back to health but maybe they would pick it up and put it in the grass. still good people. I personally like being in the first category.
Same. I mean, if it's really minor, I'll hide him in some leaves or something so he can calm down in a safe dark area before moving on, but if it's more than a tiny minor thing I try to help however I can.
I sometimes have to stop traffic on a backroad where I live because there's a big pond on one side and during the mating season after it gets dark there are HUNDREDS in the road. Sadly I'm not always in time but I still chase or pick up as many as I can. Sometimes people will get out and help me, but most of the time they're either pissed or laughing at me.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Same. I mean, if it's really minor, I'll hide him in some leaves or something so he can calm down in a safe dark area before moving on, but if it's more than a tiny minor thing I try to help however I can.
I sometimes have to stop traffic on a backroad where I live because there's a big pond on one side and during the mating season after it gets dark there are HUNDREDS in the road. Sadly I'm not always in time but I still chase or pick up as many as I can. Sometimes people will get out and help me, but most of the time they're either pissed or laughing at me.
Awwwe. I'd love to see that!

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
You can never tell with toads and frogs what they are capable of surviving. Just 2 weeks ago i drove over a large frog and I swore i actually felt it hit under the car. I went back to check and sure enough there he was laying still as can be on his back all stretched out. I was on an old country road so no other cars and felt safe enough just opening the car door to take a peek. Looked totally dead. I used a pencil to touch its leg and leg didnt jump or anything but THEN i saw his throat move. He took a breath. Then nothing. Then another breath. SOOOOOO I grabbed some napkins and picked him up and put it right side up on my car floor on the pasenger side and drove home figuring maybe he's just knocked out. Long story short, half way home he woke up...

I kept him a week and released him in the reserve about a block from where i found him....

I almost DIED just ten minutes ago saving two toads in the road. (Technically three, but the first one was herded safely off the road and no cars ever came driving up, so I'm not counting him).

The next one there was no one around and I saw him ahead of me in my headlights so I hit my brakes (but of course passed him - sadly cars don't stop on a dime unless you really slam them which I didn't want to do since he wasn't in my lane but was hopping towards it and I was afraid slamming the brakes would scare him off) so I'm pulled off to the side and walking back with a flashlight when off in the distance I see headlights slowly coming towards us. I'm only halfway back to the toad so I start waving my flashlight to get them to slow down. Luckily they did, buuuuuut as they slowed down they moved into the opposing lane so they could roll up to me and ask if I was okay. Was nice of her, buuuut in the process she ran over the toad. He's still alive, but wasn't hopping right and doesn't seem to have complete control over his body cuz it doesn't seem to move like he wants, and it looks like his poison sacks behind his head are deflated. Was also walking on his front legs really weird. So I scooped him up and got back in my car and kept driving.

This is the part where I almost die.

Okay so driving further down the road. See another toad in the other lane. So I turn around and come up that side, figuring I'll block anyone coming this time so I can move him. Pull up to the toad, he's now in my ORIGINAL lane. But this time I pull up right next to him, so I just hop out of my car. Little bugger is fast! But he won't hop out of the road, either! So as I'm trying to herd him out of the road since he won't let me catch him, a car speeding up on us in my original lane (that I'm still standing in) isn't slowing down. I had left my high beams on and had my flashers on and had my flashlight waving in my one hand at the car while I'm trying to herd the toad with the other. Car STILL isn't slowing down! I finally stand up and stare them down both hands straight out palms facing them flashlight set on rapid flashing.

At this point the ENTIRE road ahead of this car is lit up and flashing at them. THEY STILL DON'T HIT THE BRAKES UNTIL LITERALLY ON TOP OF ME. I had to stoop down quick and bat the toad out of the road with my hand and dive into the shoulder I batted the toad into at the same time to avoid being HIT by this car THAT DIDN'T EVEN STOP TO SEE IF I WAS ALRIGHT. I swear I think this asshole wouldn't have even stopped if he HAD hit me. As it is, my shoe was knocked off by his right headlight (they're slip-on sneaker shoes, easily knocked off. But STILL!)

Thank goodness, toad was okay. Not happy, but safe.

I hurt my bad knee, but what else is new? Luckily I always keep a knee brace in my car, haha.

The one that had been run over (or glanced, I don't know) is safe in my sink soaking in a little bit of water.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I almost DIED just ten minutes ago saving two toads in the road. (Technically three, but the first one was herded safely off the road and no cars ever came driving up, so I'm not counting him).

The next one there was no one around and I saw him ahead of me in my headlights so I hit my brakes (but of course passed him - sadly cars don't stop on a dime unless you really slam them which I didn't want to do since he wasn't in my lane but was hopping towards it and I was afraid slamming the brakes would scare him off) so I'm pulled off to the side and walking back with a flashlight when off in the distance I see headlights slowly coming towards us. I'm only halfway back to the toad so I start waving my flashlight to get them to slow down. Luckily they did, buuuuuut as they slowed down they moved into the opposing lane so they could roll up to me and ask if I was okay. Was nice of her, buuuut in the process she ran over the toad. He's still alive, but wasn't hopping right and doesn't seem to have complete control over his body cuz it doesn't seem to move like he wants, and it looks like his poison sacks behind his head are deflated. Was also walking on his front legs really weird. So I scooped him up and got back in my car and kept driving.

This is the part where I almost die.

Okay so driving further down the road. See another toad in the other lane. So I turn around and come up that side, figuring I'll block anyone coming this time so I can move him. Pull up to the toad, he's now in my ORIGINAL lane. But this time I pull up right next to him, so I just hop out of my car. Little bugger is fast! But he won't hop out of the road, either! So as I'm trying to herd him out of the road since he won't let me catch him, a car speeding up on us in my original lane (that I'm still standing in) isn't slowing down. I had left my high beams on and had my flashers on and had my flashlight waving in my one hand at the car while I'm trying to herd the toad with the other. Car STILL isn't slowing down! I finally stand up and stare them down both hands straight out palms facing them flashlight set on rapid flashing.

At this point the ENTIRE road ahead of this car is lit up and flashing at them. THEY STILL DON'T HIT THE BRAKES UNTIL LITERALLY ON TOP OF ME. I had to stoop down quick and bat the toad out of the road with my hand and dive into the shoulder I batted the toad into at the same time to avoid being HIT by this car THAT DIDN'T EVEN STOP TO SEE IF I WAS ALRIGHT. I swear I think this asshole wouldn't have even stopped if he HAD hit me. As it is, my shoe was knocked off by his right headlight (they're slip-on sneaker shoes, easily knocked off. But STILL!)

Thank goodness, toad was okay. Not happy, but safe.

I hurt my bad knee, but what else is new? Luckily I always keep a knee brace in my car, haha.

The one that had been run over (or glanced, I don't know) is safe in my sink soaking in a little bit of water.
Goodness, Angel, goodness, goodness!
Be careful!
I love toads too, but they're not worth dying for.
Some people are just not nice, or drunk, or can't see well or a combination of the three.
Look after yourself first, then you'll still be around to help others.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Goodness, Angel, goodness, goodness!
Be careful!
I love toads too, but they're not worth dying for.
Some people are just not nice, or drunk, or can't see well or a combination of the three.
Look after yourself first, then you'll still be around to help others.

I'll admit I was a little shaken up after I got back in my car and kept driving and it finally sunk in. But it's nothing I haven't dealt with before. Hell, I stopped traffic on a semi-major highway near me to save a huge snapping turtle.

I can't help it; if it's scaly or fluffy or feathery or slimy etc I have to do all I can to save it. People on the other hand....has to either be a kid, pregnant lady, or someone I like. Everyone else? Generally on your own. Unless it's a big catastrophe like a car wreck or collapsed building I actually witness right in front of me. Then social protocol and my stupid conscious force me to help. Otherwise? Nope. On your own.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I got you beat... you should see me on rainy nights swerving around the road trying to avoid.... worms

Still beat ya; I pull over and run around picking them all up. I don't get every single one, but I get as many as I can then keep going when cars start coming.
So you found the one category I won't play chicken in traffic for; bugs and Isopoda (that's what worms snails and slugs are, right?)