Toads...

jnirvello

Location (City and/or State)
fort myers, florida
went outside to my sulcata munching on a dead toad or frog... not sure. He was half way gone when I got out there. I tried to pull it out of his mouth but I only got his leg. I’m nervous... what Can I do?? Is there anything I can do?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Interesting...seems like it's always something, doesnt it! Id suggest some extra soakings, followed by plenty of aloe and/or cactus pads. I think you want to encourage super hydration. Just throwing this suggestion out since it seems like you can't do much more...and hydration with foods that encourage some increased bowel movement always help.

Ok @JoesMum and @Tom and @deadheadvet and @Yvonne G and @wellington whst do you all think?

How big is your sully? And, based on what you pulled out, can you ID the frog type? It's probably safe..

Good luck.

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
He’s only about 5 months old. I have no idea what kind of frog. Our patio was recently power washed so it was spotless... that’s why I was shocked there was anything even in there!!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would only really worry if you have poisonous native frogs or toads.
I know in Arizona there is a poisonous toad that can kill a large dog if eaten.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Most toads are truly distasteful. They’ll get spat out. Probably a frog. Curious that it’s been eaten but probably won’t cause long term harm

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
I figured why was he eating it when they are herbivores?? It was small and flat like a frog. Like I said, the patio was just cleaned completely so who knows where it even came from. Definitely looked dead for a while though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would keep a close eye on him for a day or so. Most likely he'll be fine. Most animals that gets ahold of anything poisonous seems to foam at the mouth quite quickly.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I imagine in the wild tortoises come along carrion of different types. Keep us posted how yours does.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The leg you got out of its mouth...was it gray and bumpy like one of our Bufo (Caine ) toads? Or smoother like a tree frog?
At any rate. If he was poisoned, the reaction should have been almost immediate.
So I'd say you are fine.

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
The body was smooth... very flat. I can tell the difference between a toad and frog but like I said it was soooo dried up and dead, looked like it was weeks dead

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico
If it’s dead and dry it will cause no harm because there’s nothing. Alive, another story. We are in Puerto Rico, plenty of scares with them and the dogs. Lizzy is too young to be outside yet [emoji8][emoji8][emoji8]IMG_1604.jpg