Today marks...

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Congratulations!! :D
I hope it hatches soon! I don't know much about incubation and little baby torts :( Are incubating it for a specific sex?

phebe121

I think its 4 and half months for leopards so just a little more to go

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh boy. It's only 100 days? You may be waiting much longer for them. My babcocki eggs hatch at 5-7 months and pardalis at 8-12 months(have been longer but just a few times) temperature with diapause on the pardalis aside was 86-89. Hope this one proves to hatch when you want it too. Have you candled it yet?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Oh boy. It's only 100 days? You may be waiting much longer for them. My babcocki eggs hatch at 5-7 months and pardalis at 8-12 months(have been longer but just a few times) temperature with diapause on the pardalis aside was 86-89. Hope this one proves to hatch when you want it too. Have you candled it yet?

I candled it a few times early on to check for changes and veins. Once I saw veins I haven't touched it since.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I candled it a few times early on to check for changes and veins. Once I saw veins I haven't touched it since.
I remember you saying that on Instagram.... It's funny how I can remember things like these, but not remember what the teacher has been saying for the past few weeks. I guess I only remember the more important things (the things related to tortoises :p)!

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I remember you saying that on Instagram.... It's funny how I can remember things like these, but not remember what the teacher has been saying for the past few weeks. I guess I only remember the more important things (the things related to tortoises :p)!

If I could go to school to major in TORTOISES, I would have beyond a 4.0. I guess I'll have to stick with Business management & Wildlife ecology.. :p

I really can't wait to see this little one hatch.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I'm curious about others who have incubated leopard eggs. What was the incubation period length?
Very interesting!!!

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Is this your frist time incubating eggs ever? Or have you before? I'm wondering if it's complicated or an easy process?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:eek: Why is it so long??

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yeah, I've got it temp'd for female but I know that's just gender swaying and not even close to a guarantee.
:p I hope it turns out to be a girl! I would think it's kind of hit or miss, hopefully (he/she) hatches for you soon! :D

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Is this your frist time incubating eggs ever? Or have you before? I'm wondering if it's complicated or an easy process?
Yes, this is my very first time incubating. I was a nervous wreck setting the egg up for incubation. Then I was fine and only checked on the egg once a day for temps and humidity. A couple of weeks ago though, the excitement and anticipation has started growing. I'm now checking the incubator 2-3 times a day. I just added water again this morning and hope it's the last time I need too! Hahaha. :D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
:eek: Why is it so long??
Well it depends on locality and species for one. This coincides with weather patterns, Kenya versus South Africa we will use for example. Kenya does not get near the fluctuation of weather patterns even really a winter unlike South Africa, naturally a when the tortoises lay there eggs in the wild it's at the end of a season sometimes the beginning. So eggs being laid in late winter early spring will go through a period of temperature drops. Just like here in the US. So the egg will stop developing (depending on species) at a certain temperature threshold. During this process(depending how long the transition of seasons is) the egg will either completely stay diapaused(no development) and then commence once temperatures are favorable for the embryo to begin it's stage of development. So it's not that the egg of a South African takes longer incubation period. It's the difference in starting and stopping. When you collect all the data from the time the egg was fully developing without the diapause they come out to the same. So a Kenyan or Tanzanian leopard will lay in spring, possibly go through a very short diapause and then begin development. Some species like chacos will lay there eggs in the fall(dry season) and it will go through all of winter with very little development. The days can be in the 70s-80s and nights in the 30s. So the egg naturally doe not develop until temperatures(of the nest, not ambient) are within high 60s at night and high 80s during the day.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
So if the egg depends on temperature (or lack of) to hatch, shouldn't it hatch sooner in an incubator, which has a constant temp all the time, allowing the egg to continue developing without pause?