Toilet Habbits???

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexAndKez

5 Year Member
Hello

I recently got a russian (horsefield) tortoise.Ive had him around a month.To begin with he was happy to go the toilet (pass faeces) in his tortoise table.

However he will now only do so when he either roams my bedroom or when he has a bath (twice a week).

I was just wondering if this was normal?When he takes a bath he does around 3-4 poo's...does this mean i need to bath him MORE than twice a week in order to stop him becoming constipated?I guessed that maybe he just didnt want to poo near where he sleeps/eats etc?He urinates in his tortoise table though.

Could do with a little advice.

Thanks!:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Most likely it is more along the lines of he is eating his poop and so you never see it. The fact that your seeing it once or twice a week while bathing means he is not having problems. Also how much he eats, how warm he is kept and how active he is wil also play into how often her has a bowel movement.

AlexAndKez

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi! Most likely it is more along the lines of he is eating his poop and so you never see it. The fact that your seeing it once or twice a week while bathing means he is not having problems. Also how much he eats, how warm he is kept and how active he is wil also play into how often her has a bowel movement.

I guess i cant be 100% sure but ive never seen him eat his own poop.I spend alot of time with him during the day when im not in work and ive never caught him eating it.

He is kept at the correct temp and is very active.I put out fresh food in the morning before work,then when i get home i get him out for a while and he walks round the room (bedroom is pretty big),then he has some more food and once its settled i take him out of his table to once again roam around my bedroom or living room.So in that respect he seems pretty active and happy.He also seems to eat alot.He will eat 2-3 bowls full a day.

I realise it could be nothing at all.Its just with him being my first tortoise im not all that clued up.I just didnt want him to become constipated or ''bunged up'' because he isnt pooping enough.

So do you think if i just bath him twice a week like i have been doing,and he poops then and whilst roaming my room that will be enough and he will be ok?

Sorry for being so long winded.

Thanks for all your help!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Pooping in the bath us normal. It also helps keep the enclosure clean :)

Disgusting as it sounds, eating poop is also normal. It is very likely your tort is eating poop before you find it. It's said to help with bacteria in the gut and is certainly nothing to worry about.

Your tort sounds fine and normal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.