Too Cold????

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello Tom how are you doing today? I can't get all of those different lights right now, ( I know Fred needs them but what do I absolutely need right now? I got the basking light.
The critical ones that are immediately necessary for survival are #1 and 2. For number 3, any additional light source will do. Just a cheap lamp with an LED bulb from another room, or if the blinds are open during the day will help.

You don't need number four if you can get the tortoise outside in a safe enclosure a few times per week for some sunshine for an hour. Its okay of the tortoise hides in the shade because of the intense AZ heat. Access to sun will do it. Try to sun in the morning, before it gets too hot. Make sure your calcium supplement has D3 in it and that will help too.

LittleLove

Arizona
The critical ones that are immediately necessary for survival are #1 and 2. For number 3, any additional light source will do. Just a cheap lamp with an LED bulb from another room, or if the blinds are open during the day will help.

You don't need number four if you can get the tortoise outside in a safe enclosure a few times per week for some sunshine for an hour. Its okay of the tortoise hides in the shade because of the intense AZ heat. Access to sun will do it. Try to sun in the morning, before it gets too hot. Make sure your calcium supplement has D3 in it and that will help too.
Thanks Tom, I have the basking light. So I needs to order the ceramic heat lamp

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom, I have the basking light. So I needs to order the ceramic heat lamp
Ceramic heat emitter. Its not a lamp. It produces no light. And you need a thermostat to run the CHE. Thermostats can be found on Amazon for $20-30.

LittleLove

Arizona
Hello Tom how are you doing today? I can't get all of those different lights right now, ( I know Fred needs them but what do I absolutely need right now? I got the basking light.
I am attaching a picture of the basking light I got. I hope it's okay for now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240824-141439.png
    Screenshot_20240824-141439.png
    440 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am attaching a picture of the basking light I got. I hope it's okay for now.
Yes. Those Flukers bulbs are fine. I recommend buying a few extras to have on hand, because they always burn out at the worst possible, most inconvenient times. Ask me how I know this...

LittleLove

Arizona
Yes. Those Flukers bulbs are fine. I recommend buying a few extras to have on hand, because they always burn out at the worst possible, most inconvenient times. Ask me how I know this...
Thanks Tom you have been so helpful. You are probably getting tired of me asking you for suggestions.

LittleLove

Arizona
I
Not at all! Fire away! I'm here to talk tortoises. 🐢
Have one more question for tonight. Since I only have that one light on him now. Should I leave it on all night? He goes in his little house at night and sleeps. So it won't be on him. I have also been covering him at night.
Oh and when Fred sleeps why does it look like he's swimming?
Not at all! Fire away! I'm here to talk tortoises. 🐢

LittleLove

Arizona
I

Have one more question for tonight. Since I only have that one light on him now. Should I leave it on all night? He goes in his little house at night and sleeps. So it won't be on him. I have also been covering him at night.
I am also going to bring him outside tomorrow, I usually get up around 6.00 so it won't be as hot

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I

It needs to be dark at night, but still warm. If your house is dropping below 80 degrees at night, put the enclosure in a bathroom, shut the AC vent, and run a space heater. If its hot outside, maybe you could open the bathroom window and blow the hot air in with a fan.

The swimming thing is how they breathe. They don't have a diaphragm like we do.
I am also going to bring him outside tomorrow, I usually get up around 6.00 so it won't be as hot
There is no UV at 6 am, so that won't be helpful at all. There is probably not decent UV until 10ish.

LittleLove

Arizona
It needs to be dark at night, but still warm. If your house is dropping below 80 degrees at night, put the enclosure in a bathroom, shut the AC vent, and run a space heater. If its hot outside, maybe you could open the bathroom window and blow the hot air in with a fan.

The swimming thing is how they breathe. They don't have a diaphragm like we do.

There is no UV at 6 am, so that won't be helpful at all. There is probably not decent UV until 10ish.
Should I leave the light on? And is it normal for him to look like he's swimming when he's sleeping.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California