Too small for outside?

j_caouette

One of my cherry heads is about 2-2.75 inches and wanted to know if it would be okay to place him/her in a outdoor enclosure or wait a little longer.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sweet Home Chicago
That's just a hatchling. They are so vulnerable at that age. I'd wait. Imho

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
At that age, they need to be in an enclosure (preferably a closed chamber) with warm temps and high humidity. I'd also recommend daily soaks and a misting directly to the shell a couple of times a day. It can still be beneficial for them to get sun, but it tends to be too difficult to maintain the proper habitat (mostly humidity) for them to be out all day. You can put them outdoors in a well planted enclosure for around 30 mins to an hour a couple times a week. They MUST be supervised at this age though. They can easily become prey or overheat in full sun. This is in no way necessary though, especially for young redfoots that most likely spend most of their time hidden in the forest floor.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I will take my hatchling leopard out when he was small. He was hatched in November, so I had to wait till the next summer, however, I would still take out for a short period of sun making sure there is plenty of shade. 15-30 minutes until older. I will give a soak as soon as I took him back inside.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
One answer doesn't fit this question.
Too many variables.
My babies are less than 3 months old and they are now almost entirely housed outside. BUT. It is a fully secured enclosure. Wood and 1/2" mesh. There is a large, shallow pool and suitable hides.
The temperature is always in the 80s during the day and 76-78 or so at night. The humidity is kept very high as well.
So. Yes. They can be kept outside soon after hatching. But it's not as simple as that.
The photo is from a while ago. It is now partitioned off and kept closed at night.
The whole thing is in an enclosed patio.

Attachments

• 20170320_164414.jpg
    20170320_164414.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:

j_caouette

When do you guys thinks is the recommended size to be housed outside? My other cherry is around 4 1/2 inches. I take them outside almost everyday for about 20min supervised. I feel bad in a way keeping them indoors all the time because when they are outside they love to explore and RUN around.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When do you guys thinks is the recommended size to be housed outside? My other cherry is around 4 1/2 inches. I take them outside almost everyday for about 20min supervised. I feel bad in a way keeping them indoors all the time because when they are outside they love to explore and RUN around.
Where are you located?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So, low humidity, 21% and temp average is high 70's with average of high 60's. Per the Internet search. Corona California I'm assuming.
Does that sound about right for temps?

j_caouette

So, low humidity, 21% and temp average is high 70's with average of high 60's. Per the Internet search. Corona California I'm assuming.
Does that sound about right for temps?
Right now the temps are pretty high from the 80s-90s this time of year(summer time) and the humidity sounds about right, but if I place a misting system in the enclosure could that help!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
RUN? Well, as long as they are not RUNNING SCARED. lol!!!!!
Supervision is key especially when they are so small.