Top ten pets (without fur)

yillt

As some may know, I am allergic to dogs, cats, rabbits and all fur in general. Some may like music, art or dance but I like animals. Everything I do and want to be (vet) is with animals. What (in your opinion) are the top ten animals without fur? As I would love to have some more pets but UNFORTUNTELY I just cant wear a mask every time I stroke my cat or pick him up. Because it's very distracting and horrible.

Last edited:

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I loved my bearded dragon and my blue tongued skunks. Both were very personable and fun. I love rats too if you could handle a rex or hairless variety.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
All animals are interesting (even though not all of them make good pets :p ). Birds are popular and don't have fur, but they can produce lots of feather dust, so probably not the best choice if you are allergic?

In the end it all depends on what you are looking for. Something to watch? Care for? Cuddle? If you want a social partner you won't be happy with a goldfish, but you could try different breeds of cats and dogs, some are said to be more suitable for people with allergies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Get a standard poodle. They don't produce the allergens that other dogs do, so people who are allergic to dogs are usually fine with them. Same with Bichon Frise and one other too...

Can't beat the Blue Tongue skinks for being good pets. Many species.

Turtles and tortoises, of course...

I've had fish tanks in my life since I was born and love all sorts of different fishes and aquatic animals.

Parrots are amazing animals if you have lots of time to spend with them.

Lotsa cool snakes out there for sale too.

Chameleons are also one of my favorites. I like the mellers and panthers.

They have all sorts of pet species of cockroaches. Some of those can be fascinating and interesting if you like bugs. Beetles too. Look up "Death's Head Roaches" and "Domino Roaches".

How about tarantulas?

Water dogs or axolotls...

I love the monitor lizards. Very smart animals.

Tegus too.

This list could go on forever...

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Don't forget snails! Species like the giant African snail are beautiful, totally harmless (at least in England) and easy to take care of.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I loved my rats and bearded dragon, great pets.
As for dogs, the Chinese crested comes in a hairless version. Also the Mexican Xoloitzcuintli also known as the Mexican Hairless. Just remember , there is no scientific evidence that any dog breed is truly hypoallergenic.
As for cats, the Sphynx cat is also hairless. The Rex cat is not hairless, but may work for you too.

If you want a dog, I would visit a dog show. A cat, visit a cat show Go look at the dogs/cat you like, shorter hair would be easier and spend some time just being around it and see if you react. Then go on to the next one and do the same. If no reaction, then pet the one you like the most and see what happens.

There used to be a shampoo available to lessen the affects of the allergens to those allergic. I have never used it or know anyone that has. I can't tell you if it works or not. I think it was a cat shampoo. Which could be used on a dog, I would use on a puppy. Don't ever use dog products on cats or kittens though.

I do know a few people allergic to cats. However, they are not allergic to every cat. It seems the cats that didn't bother them were ones with very soft and silky feeling fur.

yillt

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately I have had rats but I'm VERY allergic to them. I love birds but hate seeing them locked up (more so because they have wings and it just feels very wrong to me.) Since a young age I've always loved reptiles and I think a lizard sounds very enticing (right word? :D) These are all possible ideas but as with anything, I have to research and consider and then, there are THE PARENTS! TO get through

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I love birds but hate seeing them locked up (more so because they have wings and it just feels very wrong to me.)
Sadly almost every pet has to be locked up, but I think many birds suffer less from it than for example tortoises. Of course they shouldn't live in a small cage, but if you let them fly free in a room... Big parrots would need more space, but my budgies are pleased with that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love birds but hate seeing them locked up (more so because they have wings and it just feels very wrong to me.)

I've been keeping bird since I was a kid. They don't mind the cages any more than any other animal. I train all my birds to fly around my house. Its fun for me and them. They are caged at night and whenever I am not directly supervising them or doing training sessions.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Don't forget snails! Species like the giant African snail are beautiful, totally harmless (at least in England) and easy to take care of.
They do stink though - at least the ones a colleague had in school did!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I've been keeping bird since I was a kid. They don't mind the cages any more than any other animal. I train all my birds to fly around my house. Its fun for me and them. They are caged at night and whenever I am not directly supervising them or doing training sessions.
I had a pet sparrow for 7 years. It was one of 3 I reared when their nest was knocked down in work. They were less than a day old and brought to me because I had an incubator on the go for hatching chicks. 2 were strong and were released in my garden so they were around quite a lot until they flew further away (at least that's what I like to think happened to them), but the runt stayed with me and miraculously survived! It had an open cage so plenty of room to fly around indoors. It didn't know it was a bird though and when I returned home from work it would come and nestle in the crook of my arm or sit on my shoulder under my hair.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Tom. How do you train your birds to fly around the room. We have 2 budgies, we leave the cage open and they are just not bothered about coming out. I got them out once, they flew around the room in a panic, landed back on the cage and went straight back inside. How do I go about training them to come out? Also I didn't realise how much they love to eat greens, we give them a piece of romaine from time to time. The other week I moved one of my large indoor palm trees too close to their cage, they ate every bit that was within reach.

I used to have one as a child called Joey and that flew about all the time. No training was needed.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Tom. How do you train your birds to fly around the room. We have 2 budgies, we leave the cage open and they are just not bothered about coming out. I got them out once, they flew around the room in a panic, landed back on the cage and went straight back inside. How do I go about training them to come out? Also I didn't realise how much they love to eat greens, we give them a piece of romaine from time to time. The other week I moved one of my large indoor palm trees too close to their cage, they ate every bit that was within reach.

I used to have one as a child called Joey and that flew about all the time. No training was needed.
I used to leave some food on top of my sparrow's cage as well as in it, so he would often just sit on the top.
He had a woven raffia 'nest' which he would tuck himself into and sleep in each night.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I used to leave some food on top of my sparrow's cage as well as in it, so he would often just sit on the top.
He had a woven raffia 'nest' which he would tuck himself into and sleep in each night.
We have tried that, we even put millet around the room for them to get, but no.
We've actually took them out of the cage several times, but everytime they panic, flying into the walls and windows.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
They don't mind the cages any more than any other animal.
That's why I wouldn't put any animal into a (customary) cage. ;)

But especially birds can be kept in an open cage without problems, they don't have to be supervised. I don't even know anyone who's ever kept a bird locked in a cage, that seems to be unusual here (since they can see my budgies at the window, everyone tends to tell me their budgiestories :D).

I got them out once, they flew around the room in a panic, landed back on the cage and went straight back inside. How do I go about training them to come out?
Do you have enough landing places outside? Put something close to the cage and connect it to the door (for example with a rope), so they don't have to fly, but can start to explore the room slowly step by step. You can also move the food bowl a little closer to the door every day until it's outside, so they HAVE to come out.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
We have tried that, we even put millet around the room for them to get, but no.
We've actually took them out of the cage several times, but everytime they panic, flying into the walls and windows.
Do you have any red furnishings around the room?
My sparrow used to go berserk if anyone wearing red went into his room.
I suppose their cage is just where they feel safe.
My sparrow used to have agoraphobia I think - if I put his cage in the garden for him to get some sun that also used to drive him crazy.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
That's why I wouldn't put any animal into a (customary) cage. ;)

But especially birds can be kept in an open cage without problems, they don't have to be supervised. I don't even know anyone who's ever kept a bird locked in a cage, that seems to be unusual here (since they can see my budgies at the window, everyone tends to tell me their budgiestories :D).

Do you have enough landing places outside? Put something close to the cage and connect it to the door (for example with a rope), so they don't have to fly, but can start to explore the room slowly step by step. You can also move the food bowl a little closer to the door every day until it's outside, so they HAVE to come out.
There is places to land, but I will try the rope trick. We've only had one of them for about 6wks.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Do you have any red furnishings around the room?
My sparrow used to go berserk if anyone wearing red went into his room.
I suppose their cage is just where they feel safe.
My sparrow used to have agoraphobia I think - if I put his cage in the garden for him to get some sun that also used to drive him crazy.
Nothing red, except torts. Lol.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
If you're thinking lizard, the blue tongued skink would get my vote. Leopard geckos are great if you want to go smaller.