Tort Identification

lutinorob

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
north Texas
I have a friend in El Paso Texas that has a male box turtle that has been in his family for a long time and would like help figuring what type it is. Could be a gulf coast or a yucatan or something else dont know it has four rear toes.

Attachments

• blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 63
  • blue 2.jpg
    blue 2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 62
M

Maggie Cummings

I'm not even gonna guess, but he's just beautiful. What color! How about a plastron picture?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It's an extremely old ornate box turtle. Some males get totally greenish heads with completely patternless shells as they age. It's a unique one for sure though, very interesting looking

lutinorob

10 Year Member!
north Texas
I see what your talking about just never seen one with a brown shell. Do you think it is terrapene ornata ornata or terrapene ornata luteola?

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
I have an ornate with a greenish head as well. I think she's female, though. I'd never seen it before her. Very pretty on this one.

lutinorob

10 Year Member!
north Texas
Post some pictures of her include pictures of her tail. People here will help you out with the male vs. female question.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Ornata luteola considering its location. It looks very make to me. The first picture appears to have a healthy size tail and the overall shape says male