Tort pics on google

Status
Not open for further replies.

arby2774

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Berkshires of Massachusetts
Is it just me or are most of the pics of sulcatas on google show animals that are rather unhealthy looking? The pyramiding is so prevalent that if you were a beginner it would look like your sully is supposed to grow a shell like that!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yup I agree with you.....it is kinda sad. The "norm" has changed to an unnatural appearance.....I would love to see more smoothies in general ....I believe that some species are absolutely more sensitive to captivity than others....however, they are always beautiful to me ...smooth or lumpy :}

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I think a lot of people think it is normal. Where I bought Boulder the woman had a 1 year old from her hatchlings the year before and it was in a very dry glass tank under a light, no water bowl and just hay :( It was so pyramided and I didn't know that wasn't normal. I am so glad I joined TFO right away when I got Boulder and he has had lots of humidity and fresh greens and weeds, not just hay ( most hatchlings won't eat hay)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I think the issue is that a lot of people don't know that pyramiding is bad and there is so much conflicting information out there that people don't know what is correct or not. A lot of people are still getting use to the idea that humidity is a good thing for a developing desert tortoise. Hopefully the more good information that gets out there about the proper care of tortoises the less we will see of these unhealthy tortoise photos..

arby2774

5 Year Member
The Berkshires of Massachusetts
It also doesn't help that a lot of pet stores and herp supply places list a sulcata as good for beginners. I guess people feel that way because they can survive in many unsuitable conditions. However, survival alone is not a good indicator of quality of life.[/align]

Status
Not open for further replies.