Tortoise basking

macyfidlerr

Location (City and/or State)
Longview, TX
Is it unhealthy that my tortoise sits under his basking bulb all day? It is 95-100 degrees F. I will go somewhere and when I come back he is always under his bulb. His shell is warm so I can tell he has sat under it for hours. This is everyday occurrence. Is this okay or not? He just sits under it and sometimes falls asleep under it. It is like his comfort place. He will walk around his cage but spends most of the day under the bulb and I feel he may get too hot at times. Tia

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
How warm is it in the rest of his enclosure? If it's too cold elsewhere, it could be why he is favouring the light. Does he move out of the basking spot to feed himself? What about shelter seeking at night?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
its not normal to spend all day under the light. what is the overall temperature?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My leopard did this after her surgery, during recovery. I upped all of her temps to help her stay warmer. Is your tortoise sick?

macyfidlerr

Longview, TX
How warm is it in the rest of his enclosure? If it's too cold elsewhere, it could be why he is favouring the light. Does he move out of the basking spot to feed himself? What about shelter seeking at night?
Temps in the rest of the enclosure stay about 71-74 F.
Maybe that could be why. Yes he walks around and eats and at night he goes to his log hide on the opposite side!

macyfidlerr

Longview, TX
My leopard did this after her surgery, during recovery. I upped all of her temps to help her stay warmer. Is your tortoise sick?
Oh!! He doesn't seem sick!! He is very active. He just goes straight for that light. Maybe my temps are too low

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Temps in the rest of the enclosure stay about 71-74 F.
Maybe that could be why. Yes he walks around and eats and at night he goes to his log hide on the opposite side!

That's quite cool for daytime temperatures. What species do you have? Depending on species, you'll need to bump that at least 5 degrees.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA