Tortoise beak broken.

Thog01274

Location (City and/or State)
Bradford
I have a 27 year old Mediterranean male tortoise who lives outdoors but who also has a heated enclosure. We were due a visit to the vets this Monday to get his beak trimmed, but I have noticed that it is broken off, there is quite a bit of blood, I have gently bathed it in warm water, is there anything I can put on like antiseptic? Do I need an emergency vet? Thank you for any advice.

Cewnoks

Winchester
I’m so sorry for this and I don’t have any medical advise but if this helps try give hime soft foods like lettuce or boil other more crunchy food like carrots. Then cut them into small cubes so that you tortious won’t have to chew very much
Hope this helps

Thog01274

Bradford
I’m so sorry for this and I don’t have any medical advise but if this helps try give hime soft foods like lettuce or boil other more crunchy food like carrots. Then cut them into small cubes so that you tortious won’t have to chew very much
Hope this helps
Thank you.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
ouch. flush it out with warm water and apply some neosporin. but I would get to a vet as soon as possible.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Mary Knobbins had an overshot bottom of her beak...2 weeks before the Vet visit her bottom beak broke in half, but there was no blood but she did stop eating for a few days, then the Vet dremeled her beak.
See how the bottom jaw is broken?
100_7674.JPG
This is how it looks after the filing...
View attachment 329563
There was never any blood. That part of the beak doesn't bleed. You need a Vet100_7674.JPG

Last edited:

Buckeye Girl

Rossford, Ohio
I adopted a tortoise 6 months ago. He was 100% inside at his last home. I was transitioning him to a life out doors. On one of his first tries in an outdoor pen he spent the day shaving his beak down. Do you have large rocks or bricks or something in your tort's enclosure that they can keep their beak filed down on? I know this doesn't help now, but going forward.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's one of the bad things about an overgrown beak - it almost always breaks off too far up into the quick. The sides are still too long, so you still need the vet.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I adopted a tortoise 6 months ago. He was 100% inside at his last home. I was transitioning him to a life out doors. On one of his first tries in an outdoor pen he spent the day shaving his beak down. Do you have large rocks or bricks or something in your tort's enclosure that they can keep their beak filed down on? I know this doesn't help now, but going forward.
Do you mean me? Are you talkin to me??? (sounding like a young Marlon Brando)
100_8169.JPG

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
ouch. flush it out with warm water and apply some neosporin. but I would get to a vet as soon as possible.
Ouch indeed! I'd say soft foods definitely in order here. I believe it will grow back but it'll take awhile. Months/not years. If you're not rich the Vets not needed. They heal from deadly serious woulds quite well on their own. This is a very temporary setback and your tortoise may not feel like eating anything for a few days. If it's healthy they can go a couple weeks without starving to death. Soaks in baby food water wouldn't hurt though.

Last edited: