Tortoise being given away.

Laurie tortoise

Someone is giving away an African tortoise where my son works. She says it's an African tortoise. I'm not sure. Also can you tell much about his health in this pic? He's only been fed romane and calcium. Is anyone interested in this tortoise? I have a sulcatta.
uploadfromtaptalk1426258921692.jpg

keepergale

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san diego
That is a poor diet but I am sure you will have interested party's for the tortoise. Where are you located?
Bad photo angle but it looks to be a hinge back tortoise.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I forgot to mention in the "market place" section there is a adoption area. You may want to post up in there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have several Hingeback keepers here on the Forum, to name a couple @tortadise , @Jacqui I'm thinking there's a couple more, but this old brain won't bring them up right now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the meantime, ask your son to see if it would be ok if he makes changes to the way the tortoise is being kept. Get rid of the aspen bedding and put in something that can be moistened. These tortoises need moist, humid conditions.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Kinixys homeana, Homes Hingeback.
The shell is still in good condition, but the beak looks a bit overgrown and he/she is obviously being kept too dry. Wood shavings are bad for all tortoises, and even worse for this humidity loving species. Read some of the threads on here for ideas regarding captive care.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Where are you located? Poor guy is very dry. They need lots of humidity and a nice big water source to soak in.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Would you or your son be able to take the tortoise for now until you could find it a good home here on the forum? I know that is asking a lot but that way you know it would find a good person to take care of it, a person that had the information they need.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Paging @Cowboy_Ken again. Can you take this one in? If you don't want to keep it, maybe you could ship it too one of the members that might want it like Jacqui or maybe Kelly, at their shipping expense of course.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'll have to do some negotiating on my end, and financially will be unable to contribute to getting it here, but I'm willing to entertain keeping it here at the Circle Double K Cat and Tortoise Ranch. Let me know.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
In addition to the damp substrate, it may like a protein source like earthworms (hingeback candy) and some soft fruit and mushrooms. If eating romaine it should be easy to get on good greens.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll have to do some negotiating on my end, and financially will be unable to contribute to getting it here, but I'm willing to entertain keeping it here at the Circle Double K Cat and Tortoise Ranch. Let me know.

If Jacqui wants it, she'll be there to pick it up personally in May, however, I'm not sure if she'll be allowed to fly home with it on the plane.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
If Jacqui wants it, she'll be there to pick it up personally in May, however, I'm not sure if she'll be allowed to fly home with it on the plane.
She could overnight from here to herself ... No, leaving on Sunday. We could get it set for ship and I could likely ship it out on Monday.