Tortoise being given away.

M

Maggie Cummings

I can help too, some how...want me to drive up and get it???

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Quality. Super hero's pull get together and help to save a tort. I love this story. What is the latest with this poor homeana tort.

Laurie tortoise

The latest is:
My son and his gf have tort Brohime (not sure of spelling) formerly "Myrtle". Gf is in love with him but son doesn't want the responsibility. They have decided to let him go to a person whom I choose via this forum. I just have to learn how to ship him.
In the mean time GF had done some reading in order to give him a better environment and diet.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
That's fantastic news!! The above people talking about taking this tortoise, would provide dream homes!!
You have a very nice family to save this guy!

Laurie tortoise

We rescue everything we can. I've got a cat that showed up last fall. He's finally getting close enough and letting us touch him to know he's in bad shape. Needs medical care. The next step is to crate him. We have a few ferrals and three house cats. Two other cats outside that were rescues but they couldn't deal with the dogs. We feed everyone that shows up. Yesterday my husband rescued an owlette. It didn't make it. We spay and neuter and let them live their lives on our little farm.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Around here, cats are the worst to trap. Because I have 5 of my own, it's hard to trap strays without getting my own caught. I live barely out in the country and people think my neighborhood is a good one to take their unwanted cats to. I catch them, have them neutered, then release them. Mostly they stick around, but occasionally they wander off.

I hope it works out with the tortoise. I know a couple on her who would love to have him. People ship tortoises all the time. It's no big deal. Here's a link:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-safely-ship-a-tortoise-or-turtle.1379/

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Back to the hingeback and getting him moved. Anyone with ideas? Shipping? How do we do that?
Well a good box lined with 3/4" styrofoam is a good start. Measure the tortoise and get a box that a bit bigger than him, being a homeana I'm guessing it's around 7-8" so a 12" long box, 10" wide and 8" tall would be about perfect. The you place the tortoise in a pillow case and tie a knot. Fill the voids around the tortoise (after placed in the box) with shredded newspaper. Put the lid on tape it up and take to fed ex and ship away to desired address(in this case @Jacqui would be best she's closest) next day air by 10:00 A.M. Would be best. I'm pretty sure we have a tutorial thread somewhere on the forum, I'll find it and or summon @jaizei to find it. We will help you out. It seems nerve racking but it's quick and they just go to sleep for the short trip.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
ww.ShipYourReptiles.com is who you can buy your shipping label from. You get to ship the tortoise using their permits since private individuals can't ship live animals with FedEx. It's super easy to do.

You pay for the label online through that site and print it out...
Package the tortoise yourself...
Tape the printed label onto the box...
Drop the box off at the nearest FedEx distribution center...
:)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Its fantastic the way you are all helping save this tort. Just wondering though how do they manage for food and hydration during shipping and how do they breathe? Not that I'm ever going to be doing it myself - just curious.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Its fantastic the way you are all helping save this tort. Just wondering though how do they manage for food and hydration during shipping and how do they breathe? Not that I'm ever going to be doing it myself - just curious.
They don't need to eat while being shipped. You just poke a few holes in the box and give it a good soak when it arrives. Bingo, bango, bongo..... You're done!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks Tortdad - would you soak it before packing to keep its tank topped up en route or avoid this so its doesn't wee?