Tortoise Choked

peridot

Location (City and/or State)
NC
Today I was feeding my tort cactus. I always put my cactus through a food processor so that it’s chopped up, but every once in a while there are larger pieces. I stepped away for a few seconds and when I came back my tortoise had his mouth wide open.. he then seemed to push a large piece of cactus out of his mouth/throat and kind of made gagging noises. I’m assuming he chocked on the larger piece.

He ate more after and is walking around and drinking like normal. Beside watching him, is there anything else I should do?

Do I need to worry about aspiration?

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is why I don't cut up their food. They can't choke on a piece they bit off themselves. If they bite it themselves it is always the correct size for swallowing and not choking.

Nothing for you to do now except learn from this close call. I feed whole pads to everything from 2 day old hatchings to full size adults of every species.

For things like pumpkins, sweet potato, or carrots, I grate those up with a cheese grater and mix in with greens. Adults get whole pumpkins or large chunks that they bite at.

peridot

NC
This is why I don't cut up their food. They can't choke on a piece they bit off themselves. If they bite it themselves it is always the correct size for swallowing and not choking.

Nothing for you to do now except learn from this close call. I feed whole pads to everything from 2 day old hatchings to full size adults of every species.

For things like pumpkins, sweet potato, or carrots, I grate those up with a cheese grater and mix in with greens. Adults get whole pumpkins or large chunks that they bite at.
Ahh, I was recommended by someone on here to cut it up. I’ll definitely stop doing that. Do you think I need to worry about aspiration?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh, I was recommended by someone on here to cut it up. I’ll definitely stop doing that. Do you think I need to worry about aspiration?
Everyone does things differently. Hard to know who to listen to sometimes, but now you know on this issue.

I wouldn't worry about aspiration at this point.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I usually feed my redfoot whole cactus pads too, they especially love the younger pads, and eat right from my hand, biting until it is done. Sometimes I will take the pad and grater it, and mix it with their other food. Carrot, pumpkin or other hard veggies get grated before being fed. Cuttlefish bone, put it in the enclosure whole. Never heard of them choking on that either - they bite off mouthfuls they easily swallow.