Mouth won't close after choking

Kaitltnboyce78

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
I've never posted on her before so sorry if I do anything wrong. A few hours ago my tortoise choked on a piece of cucumber I went to the vet and they said she was fine and that she managed to get it down herself which is good but she won't or can't close her mouth properly the vet says he doesn't really know why and said it might be a response from choking but he's not sure so that was helpful I've posted on quite a few platforms looking for help and was recommended this so please does anyone have any advice on what to do? Do I take her back to the vet? Is there something I can do to help her close her mouth?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The beak is starting to be overgrown. It needs to be filed down a bit. Be sure to feed on a rough surface, and don't cut up the food. Having to bite off pieces is what helps to keep the beak in shape.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I guess I'm confused. The pic has her mouth closed
Be sure there isn't a little chunk stuck some place. A long sides of mouth, in her throat, etc.
I would chop food up tiny for a couple days, just to give her a break from her ordeal. Then any time feeding harder things, either chop up tiny so it can't get stuck or leave it whole so they have to bite their own chunk off.
We had one die because a carrot got stuck. The owner cut it up in the wrong size not knowing, sad.

Kaitltnboyce78

Scotland
The beak is starting to be overgrown. It needs to be filed down a bit. Be sure to feed on a rough surface, and don't cut up the food. Having to bite off pieces is what helps to keep the beak in shape.
She got it cut about 2 weeks ago, and she gets fed on a slate.

Kaitltnboyce78

Scotland
I guess I'm confused. The pic has her mouth closed
Be sure there isn't a little chunk stuck some place. A long sides of mouth, in her throat, etc.
I would chop food up tiny for a couple days, just to give her a break from her ordeal. Then any time feeding harder things, either chop up tiny so it can't get stuck or leave it whole so they have to bite their own chunk off.
We had one die because a carrot got stuck. The owner cut it up in the wrong size not knowing, sad.
The first photo is her beak normal and the second is it now. Its not closed all the way if you can see what I mean?

Attachments

• IMG20240109125904.jpg
    IMG20240109125904.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG20240110132055.jpg
    IMG20240110132055.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The first photo is her beak normal and the second is it now. Its not closed all the way if you can see what I mean?
The mouth looks closed to me. Perhaps the vet did a little beak trim? It was/is necessary.

For you and anyone reading, this may offer some insight and help:

I know this is not what you came here for, but we like to help people and their tortoises when we see an issue. This is in no way an attack or insult to you. Just an attempt to improve your tortoise's life and your tortoise keeping experience:

First, Hello and welcome!!! I see you joined almost a year ago.

An overgrown beak indicates a husbandry problem somewhere. Possibly diet, enclosure size, UV, temperatures, supplementation routine, or possibly some combination of these factors. Most of the care info from pet shops, vets, YT and FB are all wrong. I will leave this thread for your review, and there is a care sheet for temperate species near the bottom along with a heating and lighting breakdown. Perhaps you will find areas for improvement. Or you can post pics and tell us more about your routine and equipment, and we might be able to help you sort it out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, I can't really see where it's open. Maybe a small piece broke off when she was having a problem with the piece that got stuck and it appears open or is open slightly but just isn't showing in pic.
Just keep a closer eye on her when she is eating. See if she seems to have a problem eating. Might be easier if she can eat off none chopped food if it seems opened. If she can eat normally with it not chopped then leave it be. If you ever do chop food though, make it small pieces so you know they can't get stuck.
It is best to not chop chunks.

zovick

10 Year Member!
The side of the lower beak appears to be what is interfering with the jaw closure. The lower beak should be inside of the upper beak all the way around. In the case of your tortoise, it appears that the sides are in an edge-to-edge relationship which will not allow further closure of the jaw. If you or a vet can file the top edge of the lower beak (taper it to the inside) so it fits inside of the upper one, the jaws should close further together.

Note that I am a dentist and see this as your problem. Don't know why it wasn't happening previously, but it is evident now.