Tortoise climbing issue

amyrothmeyer

We are having a problem with our tort climbing on top of her log, today she did it again and I noticed it as she was trying to climb back down and she fell and landed upside down on her shell. she seems alright and was walking around her tank for a while after I turned her back over. My worry is if this happens when we aren't home or are asleep she will be laying there helpless for a long period of time. Anything you can reccomend? Are there hideouts that she wouldn't be able to climb on? I've heard that tortoises need a place to hide in so I don't really want to leave her without anything?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Can you bury the log deeper into the substrate so they can climb up and down more easily, and so the sides aren't so steep?

My tortoises did this all the time! They would climb on the log and fall off, but never flipped themselves. I got so concerned about it injuring the bottom of the shell, I took away all their logs and we built a box shaped hide out, made of poster board. I wish I had a picture. But it was easy and cheap and it stopped the climbing.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I have made most of my hides so they can be climbed. I just add substrate all around it to create ramps. I think climbing is good exercise and prevents boredom. Good luck.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'd keep the hide in and mound up the substrate. Mine climb up and down there log all the time. To be honest they slide off not climb off. Sounds like your log maybe a little too steep. They need things to climb on and around to stimulate there brain.

amyrothmeyer

Anything I can do to entertain her more in her tank? I have done some reading and the consensus seems to be that they climb because they have become bored with their surroundings. I've thought about adding some plants but is there anything else I can do? It is not warm enough outside here to take her outside

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
My tortoise likes it when I move her enclosure around, I figure it keeps things interesting for her. She also loves *trying* to eat/knock down the potted plants I put in there. She hasn't flipped over in about a year and a half (since we built her a larger enclosure) but she still tries to climb things...

Attachments

• 009 (3).JPG
    009 (3).JPG
    370.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 003 (3).JPG
    003 (3).JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 003 (9).JPG
    003 (9).JPG
    378.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 006 (2).JPG
    006 (2).JPG
    344.8 KB · Views: 39

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Some people say you shouldn't rearrange the enclosure but I don't see anything wrong with it a couple times a year maybe. I think more than that would get a little bit stressful. But they don't walk over the exact same piece of ground every day of their lives in the wild. The enclosure still going to have the same general smell so they won't feel completely lost. There hides will still smell like them etc.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Some people say you shouldn't rearrange the enclosure but I don't see anything wrong with it a couple times a year maybe. I think more than that would get a little bit stressful. But they don't walk over the exact same piece of ground every day of their lives in the wild. The enclosure still going to have the same general smell so they won't feel completely lost. There hides will still smell like them etc.

I've never heard that before! It's hard to read these guys. To me I assumed she liked it because she ends up more active and exploring her new surroundings, but hey, it could be stress too. I used to let my tortoise loose in my room and what I thought was her being active was really just her frantically looking for a hiding spot. She was probably terrified. I hope in the case of my rearranging her enclosure, she is just curious.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have an indoor and outdoor enclosure, depending on the weather. Once a year I rearrange each one. I don't find anything wrong with it, nobody has given me a good enough reason in my opinion to not do it. I can see if you were doing it constantly, but I see no problem with it occasionally. That is just my opinion.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Anything I can do to entertain her more in her tank? I have done some reading and the consensus seems to be that they climb because they have become bored with their surroundings. I've thought about adding some plants but is there anything else I can do? It is not warm enough outside here to take her outside
You need a few hides, some logs for them to climb on, I mean small logs, I have a couple of watering holes, some larger logs that they hide around, substrate that they can dig into, plant for them to hide in. Flat rocks to walk over.
Just a few suggestions, Mine have it so they walk over different terrains. Spagnhum moss, coco, flat rocks, bark wood, cyprus mulch. They do need some space for exercise. but variation too, No point in having a massive enclosure with nothing in it.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
You need a few hides, some logs for them to climb on, I mean small logs, I have a couple of watering holes, some larger logs that they hide around, substrate that they can dig into, plant for them to hide in. Flat rocks to walk over.
Just a few suggestions, Mine have it so they walk over different terrains. Spagnhum moss, coco, flat rocks, bark wood, cyprus mulch. They do need some space for exercise. but variation too, No point in having a massive enclosure with nothing in it.
Also can make hills with your substrate so its not all the same level.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Plants are always good. And if you make the terrain more bumpy and uneven your tortoise will be able to flip themselves back over much more easily.

amyrothmeyer

@leigti
We have her in a 32 gallon tank at the moment. She is still fairly small. We are planning to build her a bigger enclosure. Probably once we have our baby and I will be able to help my husband with the heavy lifting. I will try adding some more interesting terrain and maybe some branches for her to explore in the meantime :) thanks for all the suggestions