Tortoise eating

chubu

Location (City and/or State)
oman
Hello, i noticed when my tortoise eat, his head goes back in the shell trying to cut the lettuce im not sure. But he never did that before it just happens to be recently !! I have a video but i cant upload so i uploaded in pic form hope u can tell the movements…

IMG_2574.pngIMG_2575.png

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
You should first post the video on social media like youtube and then send us a link. Does the tortoise do this with all foods? Does he do it every time now?

chubu

oman
You should first post the video on social media like youtube and then send us a link. Does the tortoise do this with all foods? Does he do it every time now?
Yes he just recently started doing it. When he has the food in his mouth, he doesn’t let go of it and tries to cut it even tho its cut and i have to step in to help

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome to the forum! Doesn’t sound out of the norm to me, sometimes our will tuck in and swipe at the leaf, helps them tear it apart😊

Whilst you’re here I don’t suppose you’d mind including some more information on how you’re keeping you tortoise? It’s so helpful with new members🥰

What are you temperatures like? Ie basking area?(directly under the bulb) overall day temp? Night temp?
What do kind of heating/lighting are you using? Packaging photos are great!
What kind of indoor uv if any?
What’s your humidity like and what do you use for substrate?

Any answers to the above questions would be great, along with any additional pics of your set up if you’re willing to share!😊

Oh also I noticed what look like a pair of tortoises being house together in your profile pic?
tortoise of any species should never be housed in pairs under any circumstances, they’re incredibly territorial, behaviours that look cute to us really aren’t, following one another and sleeping huddled up is all bullying the the tortoise world, you’ll eventually see more extreme signs of aggression. Anyone who tells you pairs are fine, have no idea what they’re talking about.

Small groups are ok when there’s lots of land and the correct male to female ratio.

If you only have two, they need separating asap, just thought I’d give you a heads up🙂

chubu

oman
Hello and welcome to the forum! Doesn’t sound out of the norm to me, sometimes our will tuck in and swipe at the leaf, helps them tear it apart😊

Whilst you’re here I don’t suppose you’d mind including some more information on how you’re keeping you tortoise? It’s so helpful with new members🥰

What are you temperatures like? Ie basking area?(directly under the bulb) overall day temp? Night temp?
What do kind of heating/lighting are you using? Packaging photos are great!
What kind of indoor uv if any?
What’s your humidity like and what do you use for substrate?

Any answers to the above questions would be great, along with any additional pics of your set up if you’re willing to share!😊

Oh also I noticed what look like a pair of tortoises being house together in your profile pic?
tortoise of any species should never be housed in pairs under any circumstances, they’re incredibly territorial, behaviours that look cute to us really aren’t, following one another and sleeping huddled up is all bullying the the tortoise world, you’ll eventually see more extreme signs of aggression. Anyone who tells you pairs are fine, have no idea what they’re talking about.

Small groups are ok when there’s lots of land and the correct male to female ratio.

If you only have two, they need separating asap, just thought I’d give you a heads up🙂
Hello, sorry i have just seen your message.
First of all, no they aren’t housed together, there is a separation between the enclosure 🤣. As of the substrate i tried different ones but pure soil seem to work perfectly for them where they wont pick at it and just seem to enjoy it more. The uv, i dont have a picture of the box for now, i took it from the vet shop specialized in reptiles. As for the temperature i keep it balanced since they are indoor because of the extreme heat in Oman. So far they look happy being very active and eating well. I also take them outside (being supervised!!) for 2 hours or more every evening. Also every clean up da which is every Friday, i change the style of their enclosure so they dont get bored with it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First of all, no they aren’t housed together, there is a separation between the enclosure 🤣. As of the substrate i tried different ones but pure soil seem to work perfectly for them where they wont pick at it and just seem to enjoy it more. The uv, i dont have a picture of the box for now, i took it from the vet shop specialized in reptiles. As for the temperature i keep it balanced since they are indoor because of the extreme heat in Oman. So far they look happy being very active and eating well. I also take them outside (being supervised!!) for 2 hours or more every evening. Also every clean up da which is every Friday, i change the style of their enclosure so they dont get bored with it.
Many mistakes here. I point them out in an effort to help, not to criticize. If you don't know what is wrong, you can't fix it.

-Soil is not a safe substrate to use for a tortoise. There is no way to know what is in that bag, and sometimes it is something dangerous.
-You need to know what type of UV bulb you are using. Some of them are bad. Vets and pet shops usually don't know what types to use over tortoises.
-You keep the temperature "balanced"? What does that mean to you? What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low?
-They should each have a large enclosure outside. Free roaming isn't safe and you will eventually lose one or have a problem.
-Tortoises don't get bored and don't like change. They are most comfortable in a familiar environment where they know where everything is. Its certainly okay to clean things, but I'd put their "furniture" back where it was.
-In the picture above, the tortoise look very thin. Are you soaking them regularly? It looks like the tortoise is eating plain lettuce. This is not a good food for them. If you must feed them lettuce from the store, it needs amendments added. There are many ways to do this, but it appears that improvements are needed in the diet.

More info here:

Questions welcome.

chubu

oman

Many mistakes here. I point them out in an effort to help, not to criticize. If you don't know what is wrong, you can't fix it.

-Soil is not a safe substrate to use for a tortoise. There is no way to know what is in that bag, and sometimes it is something dangerous.
-You need to know what type of UV bulb you are using. Some of them are bad. Vets and pet shops usually don't know what types to use over tortoises.
-You keep the temperature "balanced"? What does that mean to you? What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low?
-They should each have a large enclosure outside. Free roaming isn't safe and you will eventually lose one or have a problem.
-Tortoises don't get bored and don't like change. They are most comfortable in a familiar environment where they know where everything is. Its certainly okay to clean things, but I'd put their "furniture" back where it was.
-In the picture above, the tortoise look very thin. Are you soaking them regularly? It looks like the tortoise is eating plain lettuce. This is not a good food for them. If you must feed them lettuce from the store, it needs amendments added. There are many ways to do this, but it appears that improvements are needed in the diet.

More info here:

Questions welcome.
Thank you so much for the help, i will take the advice for sure!! The problem over here is that where i live we get little to no sources about how to actually take care of tortoise and I rescued them since they were in a very bad condition, dry skin not active annd more. good thing i found this website to change these mistakes. About him looking skinny, when i took him to the vet last month i think (i forgot how much he weighed) but the doc said he was in good shape and everything is fine soo im not sure rn😅. And to clarify about the free roaming, i have a large space for them to free roam without getting lost and i also keep an eye on them regardless. been doing it for 3 years now. About their diet, im taking advices from this website since over here where i live, i was told lettuce and calcium powder was good but turns out thats not really it😅

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The problem over here is that where i live we get little to no sources about how to actually take care of tortoise...
That is the same all over the world. Most sources give the same old wrong info.

About him looking skinny, when i took him to the vet last month i think (i forgot how much he weighed) but the doc said he was in good shape and everything is fine soo im not sure...
Most vets know very little about tortoise and tortoise care. If this vet told you that this tortoise is in good shape, that confirms that this vet does not know about tortoises.

And to clarify about the free roaming, i have a large space for them to free roam without getting lost and i also keep an eye on them regardless.
Everyone thinks this is safe, everyone keeps a close eye on them, and no one would do this if they thought it wasn't safe. The problem is that it is NOT safe and can't be made safe. Eventually, it causes a problem. Make them both a secure enclosure that is dedicated to them. Be sure it has plenty of shade, and be sure they can't escape from it.

About their diet, im taking advices from this website since over here where i live, i was told lettuce and calcium powder was good but turns out thats not really it😅
Certain weeds, leaves, and flowers are best. Grocery store bought lettuce can work if you add the right amendments to it.

chubu

oman
That is the same all over the world. Most sources give the same old wrong info.

Most vets know very little about tortoise and tortoise care. If this vet told you that this tortoise is in good shape, that confirms that this vet does not know about tortoises.

Everyone thinks this is safe, everyone keeps a close eye on them, and no one would do this if they thought it wasn't safe. The problem is that it is NOT safe and can't be made safe. Eventually, it causes a problem. Make them both a secure enclosure that is dedicated to them. Be sure it has plenty of shade, and be sure they can't escape from it.

Certain weeds, leaves, and flowers are best. Grocery store bought lettuce can work if you add the right amendments to it.
Sure, thank you for the advice 🙏