Tortoise Found, ID Help

jbarrows

Location (City and/or State)
Miami
Hi, new here. I have owned two redfoot tortoises for about 3 years, and love them. A friend found this guy wandering after Hurricane Irma and brought it to me. I thought it was a Russian, but my local pet shop was concerned it might be a protected Gopher. I would never want to relocate a protected species, but I believe they are wrong. His underside is dark and he has a fairly long tail. Any help would be appreciated. He is pretty beat up from wherever he has been living in the Miami area.

Tortoise.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum, @jbaroows .

A cute tort. Sorry, I can't help you, but the experts will be able to.

@Yvonne G @Tom please help, thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not good with the Mediterranean species, but it's either a Graeca or a Hermanni. Markw84 knows them better than I, so I'd go with his response. For sure not a gopher.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'm not good with the Mediterranean species, but it's either a Graeca or a Hermanni. Markw84 knows them better than I, so I'd go with his response. For sure not a gopher.
Thanks all the same.

Bee62

Germany
Hi, new here. I have owned two redfoot tortoises for about 3 years, and love them. A friend found this guy wandering after Hurricane Irma and brought it to me. I thought it was a Russian, but my local pet shop was concerned it might be a protected Gopher. I would never want to relocate a protected species, but I believe they are wrong. His underside is dark and he has a fairly long tail. Any help would be appreciated. He is pretty beat up from wherever he has been living in the Miami area.

View attachment 219012

I think the tort is an elder Testudo Hermanni. Her carapax is not in the best condition.
Can you show us pics of the plastron ?

Koen

5 Year Member
Belgium
Yep, I assume an eastern but a picture of the plastron and back legs will help identify whether it is a Herman or Graeca