Hermann's Identification and Shell Deformity?

Steph1040

Location (City and/or State)
Boulder
Hello All! I have been getting a lot of good advice from this forum since I got my tortoise 2 months ago. I have wanted a Hermann's since I was 21 and at 31 it became a reality. They were not particularly easy to find where I am finally found one in a reptile hobby store (i know. Probably not as good as a breeder or adopting). Anyways my question is can any one tell me if his shell is a problem on his back scute? It seems to be divided up and I don't know what to google to find more info. Lastly, i have looked over all the identification documents and still cannot decide. Could he be a mix? He seems to have some but not all the qualities of a western. The price i bought him for seems to be too low to be a western though. Plus im in the US where i hear theyre rare. Thank you all for your help and advice! 0810211314e.jpg

Attachments

• 0810211314d.jpg
    0810211314d.jpg
    910.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 0810211314a_HDR.jpg
    0810211314a_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
  • 0810211314b.jpg
    0810211314b.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
  • 0810211313.jpg
    0810211313.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61

Steph1040

Boulder
That's a split scute. Perfectly normal for some torts to have that. It's by no means fool proof, but a lot of those with split or extra scutes turn out female.
It's a beautiful tortoise and extra special with the split.
Thank you! That makes me feel better. They told me it was probably a male by the tail so maybe someday Benjamin's name will have to change to Benjamina.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you! That makes me feel better. They told me it was probably a male by the tail so maybe someday Benjamin's name will have to change to Benjamina.
The tail DOES look like that of a male tortoise. Over the years I have seen several males with split scutes, so I vote for male as being the correct sex.

Not sure of the species, but it looks like an Eastern Hermann's Tortoise to me. @HermanniChris What say you?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I didn't even look at the tail. That will be the better tool for sexing.
It used to be the thought that all split or extra scutes meant female. Over the years this has been proven wrong and that both sexes can have them. I think it leans to female being the majority, but I don't think by much.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
This is a tough one! The only thing I feel confident saying is that this is definitely not a pure Western. I think it's either a pure Dalmatian or a Western x Dalmatian hybrid.

Here are the qualities that make me think it's a pure Dalmatian:
  • Heart-shaped greenish scale pattern on top of head (though it's not clear if this is a 100% indicator)
  • Lack of ingunial scutes (though hard to tell from the pics)
  • Humeral/pectoral suture is U-shaped rather than V-shaped (V is found on Eastern)
  • No black marks on the gular scutes (which would indicate hybrid)
  • No black marks outside plastral stripes (which would indicate hybrid)
  • Overall plastral pattern looks very Dalmatian
However, here's what makes me doubt that, and think Western x Dalmatian:
  • Overall vibrancy of the yellow color (I am under the impression that only Westerns have such bright yellow)
  • The general shape of the head looks sleeker than the Dalmatian head on Chris' posts and website
Thee seller may have given you a lower price due to the split/extra scutes, or it could have reflected the fact that it's a Dalmatian.

If you planned to start a breeding group, I would wait to breed this tortoise until you know for sure what it is. It's a bummer that Chris hasn't been on here in about 3 months; he's a real expert. @GBtortoises is the only other person I know who might be able to help us with a definitive answer.

This has a good section on Hybrids:

Either way, you've got a good looking tortoise that you can enjoy. It looks to be a male.

Steph1040

Boulder
This is a tough one! The only thing I feel confident saying is that this is definitely not a pure Western. I think it's either a pure Dalmatian or a Western x Dalmatian hybrid.

Here are the qualities that make me think it's a pure Dalmatian:
  • Heart-shaped greenish scale pattern on top of head (though it's not clear if this is a 100% indicator)
  • Lack of ingunial scutes (though hard to tell from the pics)
  • Humeral/pectoral suture is U-shaped rather than V-shaped (V is found on Eastern)
  • No black marks on the gular scutes (which would indicate hybrid)
  • No black marks outside plastral stripes (which would indicate hybrid)
  • Overall plastral pattern looks very Dalmatian
However, here's what makes me doubt that, and think Western x Dalmatian:
  • Overall vibrancy of the yellow color (I am under the impression that only Westerns have such bright yellow)
  • The general shape of the head looks sleeker than the Dalmatian head on Chris' posts and website
Thee seller may have given you a lower price due to the split/extra scutes, or it could have reflected the fact that it's a Dalmatian.

If you planned to start a breeding group, I would wait to breed this tortoise until you know for sure what it is. It's a bummer that Chris hasn't been on here in about 3 months; he's a real expert. @GBtortoises is the only other person I know who might be able to help us with a definitive answer.

This has a good section on Hybrids:

Either way, you've got a good looking tortoise that you can enjoy. It looks to be a male.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me! This is great information. The vibrancy of his shell and yellow/green head markings were really stumping me.

I currently have no plans to breed him. Just want to give him the best tortoise life possible.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Not a deformity at all and won't cause health problems. Some of us favor tortoises with such artistic differences.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Based on the visible physical characteristics, this tortoise is a male Dalmatian Hermann's, Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis. Split scutes, much like temperature sex determination (TSD) is not a guarantee of one gender or the other. While the majority of tortoises born with split or additional scutes are usually females, not all are. I have seen a small percentage of males with the trait. There are a few different theories of what causes split scutes, none have been definitively proven or disproven. Higher temperatures (hence more females with the trait), lack proper air exchange during incubation development (increased carbon dioxide) and heredity have all been claimed to cause split or additional scutes.