Tortoise fun

Karen1991

I have a female tortoise and have had her for around 2 years. In the summer she likes being outside but in winter i let her out in the house but as she gets cold i dont let her out for long. Is there anything I can do to amuse her or any nice treats she would like?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you make her winter indoor enclosure large enough to accomodate plants, 'boulders,' do-dads and knick-knacks, there would be no reason to allow her out of the habitat to roam the floor. You can buy two of the largest plastic bins you can find, cut out opposing ends and stick them together to make one very large bin. Set it up on an end table or blocks or boxes to get it off the floor (and the draft), set up her lights and heat, and just let her be a tortoise.

What kind of tortoise are we talking about. Some of us get through this part of the year by allowing our tortoises to hibernate.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Or a big round child's wading pool or even a stock tank work well too for large sizes.

Do you normally just leave her food cut up and in the same dish in the same spot every day? I like to take food and hide it around the enclosure for the tortoise to find. Or change how you feed it. Like if you normally cut it up, feed the leaves whole or the fruit (if you can feed these) still in the shape it comes in or perhaps with a small opening to crawl into it (like with a melon). Hang some leaves up that are just within her reach. You can plant some items for her to be able to graze on using small trays. Grow the seeds outside of the enclosure and when tall enough, plant the entire tray within the enclosure. Or buy a living lettuce head from the grocery store for her to "harvest" on her own.