Tortoise Happy! *_&

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
Hi everyone!
Well growing up I was hugely into turtles as my parents wouldn’t allow tortoises? I have no idea why; they never gave me a valid reason. But I love Tortoises! Viewing photos on google images, easy way to pass time & see what little friends the internet has out there. I just have this thing about their beaks? Just too cute! Well I started my family originally with three cats and two dogs. Well my husband didn’t want anything with scales in the house; but when I said “Hey Honey, for some reason here in Oregon they sell a lot of Russian Tortoises. May I get some?” and it started from there. I’m looking to expand my family and I’m interested in the following Tortoises ((1x Baby Sulcata, Leopard, Redfoot, Yellowfoot, Hermanns.)) to join our happy family. I’m 32 y/o’s, male & Married, moved from Palm Springs California to Portland Oregon. As of right now I have my little Girl a (Russian Tortoise) named Lilith and she’s roughly a year old.

Attachments

• lilith.jpg
    lilith.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 38

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi tyrs4u:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
RE: Tortoise Happy! *_&

Hello and welcome :)

Your 'little girl' is very young and may yet turn out to be a boy. There is no way of beimg 100% certain before she is 5-10 years old. Gender can be controlled by egg incubation temperature, but it is never a certainty.

If you get another tort, I hope you are aware that it must be kept separately from your tort for a good 6 months as quarantine.

Mixing species is not advised as they can carry different pathogens. What is harmful to one may prove fatal to another.

Finally, many torts are naturally solitary in the wild only meeting up when they mate. They don't get lonely and don't need or want company.

If these solitary species (russians and greeks for example) do cohabit they can end up fighting regardless of gender. The dominant tortoise can harass the other into withdrawal, illness and ultimately death.

You should only get another tort if you have the space to accomodate it completely separately and accept that this may have to be a permanent arrangement.

There's a link to Tom's Beginner Mistakes thread in my sig below. Do give it a read :)

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.

JoesMum said:
Hello and welcome :)

Your 'little girl' is very young and may yet turn out to be a boy. There is no way of beimg 100% certain before she is 5-10 years old. Gender can be controlled by egg incubation temperature, but it is never a certainty.

If you get another tort, I hope you are aware that it must be kept separately from your tort for a good 6 months as quarantine.

Mixing species is not advised as they can carry different pathogens. What is harmful to one may prove fatal to another.

Finally, many torts are naturally solitary in the wild only meeting up when they mate. They don't get lonely and don't need or want company.

If these solitary species (russians and greeks for example) do cohabit they can end up fighting regardless of gender. The dominant tortoise can harass the other into withdrawal, illness and ultimately death.

You should only get another tort if you have the space to accomodate it completely separately and accept that this may have to be a permanent arrangement.

There's a link to Tom's Beginner Mistakes thread in my sig below. Do give it a read :)

Awesome. Thank you for the post. I'll the link a good read before getting more family members. Oh and each species has its own 50 gallonish enclosures ... i love the lonely comment as thats why many people expand to more critters.

Forgot to mention, hello my name is Tyr. Pronounced like a 'tear' drop. Some call me TJ... ;-)

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Hi, welcome! :)
I see a cricket on his back :p I hope that's not what he eats.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. You will have quite a collection when you are done.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.

lushcious said:
Hi, welcome! :)
I see a cricket on his back :p I hope that's not what he eats.

Lol. My honey thought she ate crickets and brought home a dollars worth being nice. But after I saw he placed the few in there I was like, well she has guest. Scooped them out, cleaned the tank; then all was well. But yeah the cricket wouldn't move during the photo op. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.