Tortoise ID Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island New York
I bought Oogway a 2 months ago and when i purchased him I was told he was a Greek tortoise, however the owner was unable to tell me the subspecies. Is anyone able to identify him because I have been unsuccessful in finding a perfect match online. Thank you in advance for everyone's help. :)

Attachments

• S1090001.JPG
    S1090001.JPG
    391.7 KB · Views: 34
  • S1090010.JPG
    S1090010.JPG
    488.3 KB · Views: 33
  • S1110001.JPG
    S1110001.JPG
    414.3 KB · Views: 32
  • S1090004.JPG
    S1090004.JPG
    487.6 KB · Views: 31
  • oogway bottom.JPG
    oogway bottom.JPG
    311 KB · Views: 18
  • oogway side.JPG
    oogway side.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 13

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Middle Eastern origin, probably Turkish, possibly Antakyan Greek, Testudo gracea antakyensis. Although that name has been in and out of popularity over the the last decade. Antakyans are now (again) considered Ibera by many. Ibera inhabit the largest geographical range of all the Greek tortoise subspecies from southern Turkey to far north around the Black Sea region of Romaina. Within this vast range they vary greatly in appearance and size. Those from Turkey share many of the characteristics of other Middle Eastern Greeks making positive identification sometimes difficult. To pinpoint the subspecies of most Middle Eastern Greeks is impossible without knowing their exact origin. Many subspecies share physical and cosmetic similarities throughout the range. There are only a few very distinct subspecies that are immediately identifiable.

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Long Island New York
GBtortoises said:
Middle Eastern origin, probably Turkish, possibly Antakyan Greek, Testudo gracea antakyensis. Although that name has been in and out of popularity over the the last decade. Antakyans are now (again) considered Ibera by many. Ibera inhabit the largest geographical range of all the Greek tortoise subspecies from southern Turkey to far north around the Black Sea region of Romaina. Within this vast range they vary greatly in appearance and size. Those from Turkey share many of the characteristics of other Middle Eastern Greeks making positive identification sometimes difficult. To pinpoint the subspecies of most Middle Eastern Greeks is impossible without knowing their exact origin. Many subspecies share physical and cosmetic similarities throughout the range. There are only a few very distinct subspecies that are immediately identifiable.

Thank you for all that info I find it very interesting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.