Tortoise injections

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi, I was wanting some advice please on my tortoise. How long does it take for antibiotics to kick in and how would you know they are working?

Took him to a vet because he was lethargic, not eating or getting up etc. he scratched himself whilst eating a while ago and it got better but very recently since the scab came off we noticed it got red and he acted strange. Vet said it got infected, apparently it caused an ulcer in the corner of his mouth as well which is why he won’t eat. So now he has anti inflammatory and antibiotic injections, he’s had 2 antibiotic injections so far (second one today) and 1 anti inflammatory. I just want to see him get better again he’s only a baby it’s breaking my heart [emoji22] someone please tell me when I should expect to see improvements?

London
To add some info he is a Russian tortoise and now about 1 year and 4 months. He is still very small

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I believe anything I've treated with antibiotics showed improvement between their 2nd and 3rd dose , which would be about 5-7 days...…… anytime they didn't , the antibiotic wasn't going to and didn't work , couple times a different antibiotic did the trick ……….

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
no , I wouldn't take a turtle or tortoise to the vet that was still eating ………… I've always waited until I knew they weren't eating , and I couldn't get them to eat , been my experience you got pretty much time to figure out what's wrong after they stop eating ……. they can go a long time without eating , the metabolism of a cold blooded animal is a fraction of that of a warm blooded animal ……… if there is a bacterial infection , and the antibiotic is appropriate , some of the sickest animals I can remember noticeably improved within a week , and best I can remember ate shortly after they perked up , could be 2 weeks ………. you may have to try feeding a lot of different stuff to find something they'll eat , even if it isn't something they should eat often ……...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think I'm reading correctly that the injury is at the corner of the mouth? Keep some sort of salve on it, like Neosporin, vaseline, etc. anything that will keep it from forming a hard scab. Every time he opens his mouth with a hard scab, it breaks the scab and hurts, so he doesn't open his mouth. But if you keep the area soft you have a better chance of him eating.

London
We are taking him back to the vet today no signs of improvement he barely moves when you pick him up if his eyes weren’t open you wouldn’t be able to tell if he was alive [emoji22][emoji22] I’m so upset I don’t know what to do I hope they can help him by tube feeding him , he’s weak from not eating