Tortoise literally running non stop

Talreja chandni

5 Year Member
The eggs are unfertilised, as I understand it, and won't hatch. Laying in damp earth, compost, or sand doesn't make any difference as long as she can dig and lay.
But a tortoise doesn't differentiate between fertilized n unfertilised. As per her instinct she needs to protect any egg she lays.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
But a tortoise doesn't differentiate between fertilized n unfertilised. As per her instinct she needs to protect any egg she lays.
Eggs will only be suffocated if soil is soaking wet; they would also be too cold. Otherwise, they are fine; tortoises the world over lay in earth rather than sand. Your tort is looking for somewhere to dig. Potting compost and damp earth (only so it is not rock hard) are fine

I vety much doubt that most Indian Stars in the wild lay in pure sand.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Tortoises will not lay in pure sand. It will not hold its shape and is not stable enough. They need to dig an egg chamber that is a flask-shaped hole that will hold its shape. When they cover the nest, only the top of that hole gets plugged by a wet ball of soil/mud she makes to seal the top. The inside of the nest chamber is open, holding it's shape. That is what keep the eggs from suffocating. Sand will not do that and tortoises "know" that sand is not a good place to try to dig a nest. As @JoesMum mentions, it is if the nest gets flooded and the eggs are covered in water that they will suffocate. The open chamber they dig ensures plenty of air around the eggs unless flooded.

For a tortoise to nest properly, she needs to find a place with moist soil that is of a consistency that can hold its shape - a hold can be dug without collapsing. It needs to be moist, not wet, and normally in a place semi-protected, but has exposure to bright light. I found it helps if it is also warmer than air temp.

Talreja chandni

5 Year Member
UPDATE
Stinky has stopped walking around so much after I started giving her privacy and silence. But still no sign of those eggs.

Talreja chandni

5 Year Member
Stinky layed 2 eggs last night in her blankets. They r 1.5 inch long. She still has one more egg inside. She has been sleeping a lot after laying (must be tired) but eating well.

Attachments

• IMG_20171127_113151.jpg
    IMG_20171127_113151.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 52

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Stinky layed 2 eggs last night in her blankets. They r 1.5 inch long. She still has one more egg inside. She has been sleeping a lot after laying (must be tired) but eating well.
Please keep in mind you are lucky so far she has at least expelled these two eggs. They are over calcified and could easily have resulted in her becoming egg-bound. She needs a proper enclosure and a proper place in which she can nest. Otherwise you - and more importantly she - may not be so lucky in the future.

Talreja chandni

5 Year Member
Please keep in mind you are lucky so far she has at least expelled these two eggs. They are over calcified and could easily have resulted in her becoming egg-bound. She needs a proper enclosure and a proper place in which she can nest. Otherwise you - and more importantly she - may not be so lucky in the future.
What you are saying makes a lot of sense. But unfortunately each time I hv tried to create an enclosure for her, she walks away from it n doesnt seem to like it.

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
I believe what Mark means is an enclosure for your Indian Star tort to live in permanently. So the sides are too big for her to climb out of, as its not really good for a tort to walk around the house and it leads to a lot of problems.

Talreja chandni

5 Year Member
I believe what Mark means is an enclosure for your Indian Star tort to live in permanently. So the sides are too big for her to climb out of, as its not really good for a tort to walk around the house and it leads to a lot of problems.
I don't think that's right. It's cruel to keep an animal enclosed in a small area. N my stinky doesn't like it at all. She likes walking around the house n finding a spot for herself. She likes sleeping in her blankets in her room. N she has liked it since 18 years. I feel bad for all animals that n closed in a small area.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't think that's right. It's cruel to keep an animal enclosed in a small area. N my stinky doesn't like it at all. She likes walking around the house n finding a spot for herself. She likes sleeping in her blankets in her room. N she has liked it since 18 years. I feel bad for all animals that n closed in a small area.
That depends upon what you mean by "small area". I feel sorry for an animal that has to roam a house and never find a suitable area that would provide the conditions it has evolved to live in. Stars need warm, humid conditions with basking opportunity to heat their body temps to levels to sustain metabolism. They need places to feel secure and dig shallow pallets under plants to rest and sleep. They will search constantly trying to find a nice plant to rest under and feel secure. They need good soil to walk upon and exercise to develop proper muscle and bone development. They are grazers and need a food source in those suitable conditions to browse upon throughout the day. A female needs good soil, at least 30 cm deep that is moist and warm in which to lay eggs. (Imagine the distress of wandering a house incessantly looking for anything that would suit digging a nest, to find nothing! - week after week.)

I can provide all those things to a tortoise in a well designed enclosure with controlled temperature, humidty, and substrate. You cannot provide that letting a tortoise roam a house.