Tortoise nails

Ella4545

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Back story: about a year ago I was given a very sick baby sulcata the vet said he was going to die when I received him. He didn’t eat for the first six months I’ve had him. Every day I gave him a warm bath for 30 mins and 3x a week gave him electrolytes in his bath . Made sure he had plenty sun, heat and uvb. His shell is finally starting to harden back upFinally he started eating again! He was 61g when I got him and now he is 78g. It’s been a long tough road and he still has ups and downs but he’s getting there!
The issue I have now is his nails, they are growing in side ways and I don’t want to trim them with a nail clipper. I have various rocks and different surfaces in his enclosure, but because they grow side ways they aren’t hitting the surfaces to naturally file.
Any advice on his nails?

Attachments

• E7449878-7AF4-4344-BE85-E0423DFE1382.jpeg
    E7449878-7AF4-4344-BE85-E0423DFE1382.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 9

Ella4545

CA
It's usually the first sign of MBD. Feed him calcium-rich foods, add a tiny pinch of calcium two times a week and use a GOOD UVB light over his enclosure.
I’ve been doing that as well with the calcium, I should have specified that.
His uvb light is this one … I’ve changed it twice now at about the 4-5 month mark.

Attachments

• 4B631348-A1BB-4E2D-8FBC-3D8E3DBD31C8.jpeg
    4B631348-A1BB-4E2D-8FBC-3D8E3DBD31C8.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 5

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those bulbs aren't very good at providing UVB. Your best bet is the tube type fluorescent bulb.

Ella4545

CA
Alright I’ll make that change- I went with this one because the local reptile shop I go to suggested it for him. Do you have a brand suggestion ?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Back story: about a year ago I was given a very sick baby sulcata the vet said he was going to die when I received him. He didn’t eat for the first six months I’ve had him. Every day I gave him a warm bath for 30 mins and 3x a week gave him electrolytes in his bath . Made sure he had plenty sun, heat and uvb. His shell is finally starting to harden back upFinally he started eating again! He was 61g when I got him and now he is 78g. It’s been a long tough road and he still has ups and downs but he’s getting there!
The issue I have now is his nails, they are growing in side ways and I don’t want to trim them with a nail clipper. I have various rocks and different surfaces in his enclosure, but because they grow side ways they aren’t hitting the surfaces to naturally file.
Any advice on his nails?
Use a small nail clipper and snip off as much of the "sideways" growth as you can without hitting the quick (the pinkish white center part). You may need to do this several times periodically over the next year to get the nails into the proper angle as they begin to grow out normally under your improved care.

Ella4545

CA
Use a small nail clipper and snip off as much of the "sideways" growth as you can without hitting the quick (the pinkish white center part). You may need to do this several times periodically over the next year to get the nails into the proper angle as they begin to grow out normally under your improved care.
I can not see where the vein is in his nails! They’re so tiny even with a light underneath! But yes I deff want to get his nails going the right way!

Ella4545

CA
This. I had great success doing this with an Egyptian tortoise
If you don’t mind I would like to try to take a a better pic of his nails if you could possibly guide me where to cut . His nails to me look all the same color and u

Ella4545

CA
If you don’t mind I would like to try to take a a better pic of his nails if you could possibly guide me where to cut . His nails to me look all the same color and under the light I can’t see the veins. I must be that blind! Side note for the judgmental people His pal he came with his nails are perfect and is thriving and doing fine he’s almost 200g it’s just my little guy here I’ve been fighting for his life

zovick

10 Year Member!
If you don’t mind I would like to try to take a a better pic of his nails if you could possibly guide me where to cut . His nails to me look all the same color and under the light I can’t see the veins. I must be that blind! Side note for the judgmental people His pal he came with his nails are perfect and is thriving and doing fine he’s almost 200g it’s just my little guy here I’ve been fighting for his life
Sure, go ahead and try some new pics.

Theia

York
I’ve been doing that as well with the calcium, I should have specified that.
His uvb light is this one … I’ve changed it twice now at about the 4-5 month mark.
no you need a strip t5 bulb these curly bulbs don't work well at all you could get 2 in 1 vapour bulb to tide you over but the strip lighting is BEST