Tortoise Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i think its just me but does anyone name their tortoises by the type of tortoise they are. FOr example all my russians have russian names like : boris,meka,ivan,sasha,etc....redfoots have brasilian names...ex. rio.....sulcata = sahara,africa and so on....any else do the same?

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
not i, my tortoise names are all over the map! but it makes sense that people'd do that!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Some of mine are like that. Then some are based on something about the group name like the Bells Hingebacks are all bell type names (such as Ding, Dong, and Chime). Then still others have names special just to them based on looks, personalities, where they came from, whom they came from, ect..,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't name my tortoises, but I have kept a few of the rescues that came my way. I usually name the rescues because of the city of origin. For example, one of my leopards was brought to me from Cinncinnati, Ohio by a school teacher who found her at her classroom doorstep one Monday morning in a box. She kept the tortoise in the classroom for the remainder of the year, then she and her boy friend DROVE all the way from Ohio to Clovis, Calif. to bring me the tortoise. Her name is Cinncinnati!

If the tortoise had a name when I got it, I've kept the name. But if I keep any of my hatchlings, I don't name them.

Yvonne

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My redfoots begin with "R", Sulcatas with "S", Leopards with "L,etc.
My 5 year old granddaughter picked most of the names from a list I made from human baby names books.
Patsy

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
I use the baby name meanings sites and the translator on my Mac to search for names that mean certain things.

Since I am Greek, I generally find or create names that are Greek. After all, it's all from the Greek anyway. :)

I was brought up not to name pets after people. Fictional characters are fair game.

My last Snapper girl was named Cora, derived from the Coral, meaning little rock or stone. Sometimes you have to pick a part of a word or name to make it work for your pet.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
I guess that better than Shelly :}

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Mine are collectively named "The tortoises".

I named my dogs and my kids so that they would come when I called their name out. Both usually ignore me so I see even less point in naming an animal that can't hear my voice at all.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have the infamous Bob, blind Ornata is Bright-Eyes, dog-chewed RES is Scruffie,
2 legged turtle is of course, Wobbles. My turtles name themselves, as you can see.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
What make you think they cant hear your voice?

I wasn't quite clear: I didn't mean they can't hear a voice, I meant that they cannot recognize the same level of sound in order to respond as some animals do that have a better sense of hearing.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
All of mine have names

Most of my Russians have russian names, except for one I rescued in San Clemente - so I named her Clementine.

My cherryheads are Bing, Van, and Stella (all kinds of cherries.)

My dalmatian hermann's is named Liliana after an exchange student my parents once hosted from Yugoslavia.

A lost of mine tend to have flower names because I love flowers (Rose, Violet, Tulip, Daisy, Dandelion.)

My florida boxies were named after some older Jewish ladies I know who have retired down there. (Ruthie, Esther)

I named my male ornate Frank because he has a green head - just like Frankenstein. His mate is Elizabeth (Dr. Frankenstein's lady.)

My golden greeks all have greek names - even though they don't really come from Greece (Athena and Midas for example.)

The rest have random names - some came with names I kept, others I just like - several are Biblical names (Saphira, Cephas, Morticai, Samuel ... etc.)

I LOVE naming my shelled friends - as you can see. My poor husband has no idea who is who though! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.