Tortoise only drinks when I soak it

Tyler Fulco

Location (City and/or State)
California
I have a DT that is 15-20 years old. He is healthy and all but he only drinks when I soak him, but never when I put water in his bowl.
Can anyone help?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Is the bowl accessible. Can your tort climb right in and be surrounded by water? If it has to reach over a rim and cannot get in the bowl then it probably cannot drink easily.

I must admit that it would be easy to think that our 50ish year old Greek never drank outside too. However, I did catch him at it from time to time.

I always serve foods soaking wet which helps with hydration. And Joe’s water bowls were sunk into the ground so the rim was level with the surface.

Note I said bowls. I had 4 in various places in his territory so he could drink wherever he chose.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some tortoises are conditioned to only drink when they find a puddle. Sounds to me like your desert tortoise may not have been a captive very long. Some tortoises only drink out of a running hose. Some tortoises only drink if rain falls on their back and they position themselves to collect what falls off of them. I see no problem with giving your tortoise a soak every so often so he can drink.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a DT that is 15-20 years old. He is healthy and all but he only drinks when I soak him, but never when I put water in his bowl.
Can anyone help?

Can we see a pic of the bowl and surrounding area? There are many reasons why they might not drink.

Either way, regular soaks are good for them, and I'd continue doing that 2-3 times a week.