Tortoise or turtle?

yillt

Before I say anything, this is entirely for fun, no unnecessary comments as we all know that both tortoises and turtles are amazing. So, list your response with a reason and let's see who wins. ;)
I'll start.
I think tortoises because I love their little stocky legs and I prefer changing substrate to water. Also, I'm a bit biased as I have never had a turtle but I'm sure they're awesome to own. (I've always had a soft spot for box turtles, which I think of as tortoises in a way ).

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Tortoise. I feel it is easier (less messy) handling them. I like their stocky legs too, and I love watching mine wander around our yard. I like that his environment is the same as mine, more or less, so it is easier to spend time with him.

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia
I'm also a bigger fan of tortoises. I've had turtles for years but the day I got Marley I knew he's the only animal I want to spend my life with. This might seem like over exaggerating but hey, "he's" probably going to outlive me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I LOVE ONE OF YOUR "WHY" REASONS: I prefer changing substrate to water!!! This is an exceptional reason. Quite a few people don't give enough thought to this. Keeping turtle water clean without a GOOD filter is a HARD job!!

For personality, I'd go with box turtles every time. They're very people oriented and quite fun to interact with.

yillt

Box turtles! I have both box turtles and Torts but personality wise I definitely go with box turtles.

I had aquatics for several years too but decided that was too much work, especially when my kids out grew the hobby.
This is bad. I'm starting to like the idea of getting a box turtle. Oh no...

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I love my box turtles (Honorary tortoises, maybe?). Easy to house and feed, and such great personalities! They let me scratch their heads and hold their legs, and they beg for food, as you can see from the old girl standing on her food dish in my avatar. I had water turtles as a kid but didn't love all the maintenance. Never had a tortoise, but if I keep hanging around here that could change.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Right now I'm preferring the turtles. Especially the new Roti Island. Just because it is a neat looking turtle. To watch, the new Chinese soft shells are perhaps the most active turtles I've ever kept. The Hamiltonii is also very fun to watch. Really, I'm biased because I have more water turtles than tortoises. I've never had a huge problem with the water. I just over filter everything.

If you asked me a few months ago, my answer would have been different. In a few months, with some new tortoises and existing tortoises outside, my answer may change.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485227403.953261.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485227428.981493.jpg

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
Turtles are more interesting to watch, as they are very active and will chase feeders. Turtles can also be kept indoors in close proximity to you for their entire lives, which is a big plus.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Right now I'm preferring the turtles. Especially the new Roti Island. Just because it is a neat looking turtle. To watch, the new Chinese soft shells are perhaps the most active turtles I've ever kept. The Hamiltonii is also very fun to watch. Really, I'm biased because I have more water turtles than tortoises. I've never had a huge problem with the water. I just over filter everything.

If you asked me a few months ago, my answer would have been different. In a few months, with some new tortoises and existing tortoises outside, my answer may change.

View attachment 197834
View attachment 197835
Wow! They are beautiful!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Tortoises. I owned a turtle for a week but he was sick when I bought him. :( I like how tortoise's have big black round eyes compared to most turtles who have visible pupils. I also think tortoises smell better and are easier to care for compared to taking care of water. Also, I am quite biased, but I think tortoises are cuter because they are have fatter shells, chubby legs, stubby noses, and of course, the eyes!!!
Box turtles sound super friendly. Do they take about the same care as tortoises??

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
In keeping both for over 50 years now, I actually find turtles much easier to care for IF SET UP PROPERLY. Maybe cleaning the tank or pond filter once or twice a month, and simply putting in some food. They are fun to watch and swarm over to get food. Everyone sure enjoys them when they come over!

IMG_3173.JPG

Of course the tortoises are always a favorite too! There are daily chores though, with keeping things clean for them and watering. For tortoises their first two years, I really enjoy them, but they are the most work intensive. With the sulcatas, and now especially with the Burmese Stars, I really love their outgoing personalities.

IMG_2504.JPG

SO... what do I prefer? I really can't pick!!!!

Greta16

Western Maine
In keeping both for over 50 years now, I actually find turtles much easier to care for IF SET UP PROPERLY. Maybe cleaning the tank or pond filter once or twice a month, and simply putting in some food. They are fun to watch and swarm over to get food. Everyone sure enjoys them when they come over!

View attachment 197855

Of course the tortoises are always a favorite too! There are daily chores though, with keeping things clean for them and watering. For tortoises their first two years, I really enjoy them, but they are the most work intensive. With the sulcatas, and now especially with the Burmese Stars, I really love their outgoing personalities.

View attachment 197854

Holy cow! That is quite the setup!

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA

View attachment 197855

View attachment 197854

Off topic but can you make thread with your turtle and tortoise enclosures and post a lot of pictures. Your backyard is incredible.

Tortique

I'm an all tortoise freak. I have an 8 month tortoise and I got him 5 months ago. He is the coolest pat besides poop and pee. I just love how many diffrent tortoises there all but they're all so cute!

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Tortoises! big one. How can i resist that spiky leg of sulcata? How can i resist that big black round eyes of aldabra? And they grow big.
Turtle? No, simply because i don't like the idea of taking care the water.
However, it looks like i am going too see some box turtle video. It triggers something here :D