Tortoise Pen/Plans question

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I have a large out door enclosure (30ft x20ft), that I have been working on since last year. It houses 3 redfoots (1 male, 2 females) and possibly more in the future. I am currently unsure of where to go with the ideas. Currently it has a 20ft stream feeding a pond with a few plants scattered. I am currently at cross roads with 2 different ideas for the enclosure.

Idea 1: Use medium shrubs to break up the enclosure, providing low shade and moist areas to hide. I already have an idea of how this will turn out.

Idea 2: Plant large/tall trees which create a canopy 7-8 feet above the ground. Shrubs can be added as well, below the canopy. This would allow for shade during the hot TEXAS summers, also allows for over head sprinkler attachments on the trees themselves.

- for this to work, obviously I need some trees, but what kind? Probably 15-25 7ft saplings (they will be trimmed). I have access to persimmons and willow trees. I have read Persimmons are safe (?), just don't over feed the fruit, so I may use those. The willows are also safe, but are much harder to access. If both of these are confirmed to be safe, I will try to use an balance of both.

- My only fear is my idea will not be achieved, and it will look like a trashy lawn.

Any advice on how to turn this enclosure into a forest would be appreciated. Also, any opinions on either plan.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Also, it is important to note that the enclosure is built with tortoises and humans in mind. I want it to be somewhere people can go and relax in the garden, so ease of access is important. The planting can not be too thick.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Any mulberry trees in the area? Those are great because they tend to grow well, you can "train" them into the size and shape you want and the leaves make awesome food. If looking at bushes I would look to the Rose of Sharon/Althea. (keep in mind I am not sure how well they grow in your area, so check that out). These bushes also grow well and make beautiful blooms with the leaves and blooms being good to feed.

How about the tree towards the very back and then bushes closer in towards you?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my Manouria yard, I use the tall tree theory, and that gives it a more open, airy feel. There are a few shorter to the ground shrubs and plants, but mostly tall trees.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
A side note: I personally love the look of a willow tree and they can be eaten by tortoise often with the resulting well manicured look towards the ground (normally by a sulcata). :p However my experience with willows has also been they (for me atleast) tend to do a lot of branch breaking off.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I have not looked in to mulberry trees. Do you all see any issue with the previous listed trees?

As far as arrangement, I have thought about just doing a "forest" in one section which is probably how I will begin. I do, however, like the encompassing feeling of a forest and might want to incorporate that idea to the entire pen, while leaving 1 or 2 center areas open. 1 being a opening for a grassy hill, and the other for a sitting area (probably under a tree).

I actually ordered 12 rose of sharon hibiscus (bare root, dormant), unfortunately all of them failed to grow. I'm currently talking with the seller on compensation. I may try them again, as well as creeping jenny for around the pond/stream. The other plants I have growing include grapes on the fence, 3 pomegranate plants (small trees), a small crape, and 2 fig trees. These 5 fruit trees will take more time before they are of exceptional size, but the other trees (persimmon/willow, mulberry, etc.) can be trimmed or removed.

I dug up a 8ft tall persimmon from the pasture, and moved it into the pen. Of course it is currently going through shock, but it does seem to be making a come back. They were very easy to dig up too.

I will post some pics later of what I have to work with.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
A side note: I personally love the look of a willow tree and they can be eaten by tortoise often with the resulting well manicured look towards the ground (normally by a sulcata). :p However my experience with willows has also been they (for me atleast) tend to do a lot of branch breaking off.

Branch breaking? Do you mean the tortosies doing this to the willows? The only issue with willows for me is their location. I really like the way they look too, very sub tropical look. They grow like weeds here ( I believe they are black willows?) but the only saplings around me are in the lake. They also have a very elaborate root system. I'm going to continue to look for other areas where they may be.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The fig trees are great! They don't do well for me, but are still great including their pretty leaves. I have a couple of smaller (like 25' by 25') enclosures under full tree canopy. I does limit on what you can grow under there, but I love trying for the jungle look. Towards that end I also have things that grow downward from tree branches, fences, and even those plant hook things.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Branch breaking? Do you mean the tortosies doing this to the willows? The only issue with willows for me is their location. I really like the way they look too, very sub tropical look. They grow like weeds here ( I believe they are black willows?) but the only saplings around me are in the lake. They also have a very elaborate root system. I'm going to continue to look for other areas where they may be.

Not by the tortoises. I mean lots of fine branches are constantly falling down. May be caused by the high winds we get in this area. I get this from the river birch, too. I ended up taking the willow and not allowing it to become a tree, but rather just greens shoots.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
The fig trees are great! They don't do well for me, but are still great including their pretty leaves. I have a couple of smaller (like 25' by 25') enclosures under full tree canopy. I does limit on what you can grow under there, but I love trying for the jungle look. Towards that end I also have things that grow downward from tree branches, fences, and even those plant hook things.
True, I guess we will just have to see how it turns out. Hopefully I can see some type of progress with in a months time.

Anyone know of unique/natural looking enclosures? Most I find on the internet are just grass fields with a few plants, which is just fine but I am looking for more. Feel free to share pics!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I took this picture this morning to send to a guy who recently bought my intergrade manouria:

04-27-14 a.jpg 04-27-14 f.jpg 04-27-14 f.jpg 04-27-14 a.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have no idea why my pictures post more than once. I'd sure like to know what I'm doing wrong.

anyway...the picture with the red chairs is taken outside the manouria fence. You can see the mulberry tree that shades the whole yard, and beyond the mulberry tree are rose of sharon, pony tail palm, privet and budlea. The other picture is looking towards the left from the chair picture and in that shot you can see the T-posts with the drip pipe on them so that I can have mist during the hottest weather. In that portion of the yard are rose bushes, heavenly bamboo, empress tree and yucca.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Nice pen. I like how much shade is provided. Makes me realize how much mine probably need. Now they do have an indoor part, which they never hardly leave during the summer. Hopefully this will fix that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's why I like the mulberry tree. It's up tall enough for plenty of air/breeze and you never hit your head on the branches, and it provides the absolutely best shade during the hot summer months. In the winter, after all the leaves have fallen off the tree, it provides for dappled sunshine on cold days.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Not great pictures and they were early in the year before it got to it's best but is this more of what your looking for?

An example of using a branch to hang plants down.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
More of the one above (these pictures and the above ones were all taken while I was in the middle of upgrading it):

Or this one that started the year like this:

This spot is under a fruit tree and a bit of the mulberry tree. As you can see, I also hung plants in the background on this enclosure.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
More of the one above (these pictures and the above ones were all taken while I was in the middle of upgrading it):

Or this one that started the year like this:

This spot is under a fruit tree and a bit of the mulberry tree. As you can see, I also hung plants in the background on this enclosure.

This is huge and very nice enclosure. Wow!!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I like the jungle looks,

No, LOVE it.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Or another type look...

Once more, these were for hingebacks and pictures were taken while creating the area. With either buying bigger plants (I went young/small/cheap) or with time, the look will change and fill in more.