tortoise question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fashionpriest

5 Year Member
which tortoise shares the sme conditions as a star or a jordanian greek? and do not grow bigger than 1 foot when fully grown.
hehe
thanks
sk

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Why do you ask? If I remember correctly, when you got your Greek, you said you didn't have room for more than one tortoise. Then you got your Star only days later--

You are not still keeping the two of them together are you?

I don't know how to answer this question, because even the Star, and the Greek don't share the same conditions....its a really bad idea to mix species at all, let alone two that are so dramatically different.

So, since you have to setup a new habitat for any new tortoise, because you need to quarantine them, and not let them have any chance to make your new tortoise sick, it doesn't matter whether they share the same conditions.

Lots of keepers have several different species---the catch is that they have different, and seperate enclosures for EVERY species. They do not even think of putting them all together.

Yes, it may be "easier" and "save" space, but it is horrible and stressful for the animals.

fashionpriest

5 Year Member
i know, i was just enquiring .... i am so addicted to tortoises. haha
i find it relaxing and theraputic watching them bask, feeding them and seeing them walk to me when i look at them. hehe
they both have their own enclosures (will post pics soon ) i just thought of getting one more as i hve space to add one more bunk... its like a building. haha but i dont wanna have all three enclosures with different temperatures, bedding and stuff. i learnt how to get the other two temperatures right and i want the third to hve a similar.
yes, i just wanted 1, then got another the reason i want the third is also because of their food. half of the veggies rot, cause i try put them on different veggies and mixes. and thought if i had a third, would not waste the food as well
and thank u guys for guiding me all the way. they seem happier and enjoying their new homes.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Fashionpriest,

I don't think its up to any of us to tell you whether or not you should get another tortoise or what type. As you can see in the signatures of many of us, we have more than two, so we understand tortoise addiction and we previously covered in your prior posts the different pathogens of different species which can make the other ill. From my experience, the best thing you can do for your tortoises (and to help in our addiction:)) is to really think about the things they need from you - like vet and food costs, who would care for them if something happens to you (it is hard to find a good home for one, let alone more) and of course - as you have alluded to - the proper space to give them the best environment for the individual species. I gave myself more than a year between choosing Tank, then Bump and now Moose (my lastest tortoise). When i got Tank, I started putting money away each month for vet care and for costs for their care when I die. So I suggest you give yourself some more time with the two you have - you have learned alot so far but you never know when either one or both may need hundreds of dollars of vet care.

It sounds like too much food on hand is a concern, so I would try dividing the veggies up into separate freezer bags with a damp paper towel. I've had food last twice as long doing that - and it would eliminate waste. Remember too that the tortoises you have would really enjoy an outdoor enclosure or at least outdoor time (whenever possible) and do need different environments. I understand your feeling addicted to tortoises, so take that feeling and give yourself and them more time in learning about keeping them. It is fun to care for them, but only when they are healthy. It is heartwrenching and expensive when one becomes ill. Meanwhile, it is fun to research and learn about your own and different species - and this forum is the right place for that, so check out the Russian, Greek and Hermann's sections to learn more. Have fun!!

fashionpriest

5 Year Member
thanks kate,
thank god for my lucky stars, financially i could take care of them, healthy or ill (touch wood) i live right in the smack of the city and most apts dont come big. my lease is running out this feb and i am moving out alittle further with a garden so they could be outdoors during the days it only gets colder 15deg lowest (which would be autumn for most of u guys) end dec to end feb in hk. the rest of the time, its summer. i have a live out nanny for the house and dogs and she loves the tortoise too.
i will try freezer bag thing u told me as well.
i am just asking around for advice. so i could read more about the suggested species.

and one more thing, i am not planning on keeping them together. i asked which temperature is similar cause i want the third table to be pretty much the same as one of the other 2 rather than having 3 different bedding, temperature and humidity. the greek i own is 4ish and the indian star is 5ish. i would like my third to be much older and hope to adopt as i am not too keen on getting my third from a petshop.

i do love the leopard but i dont think i could handle one that would grow that big. i want them to be smaller. hehe

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Sandy what great advice you have given fashionpriest.

I spent several years learning and doing research prior to getting even one tort. I asked a Keeper/Breeder if they could tell someone new to torts anything what would it be. He said, "Learn all you can about the species you have chosen before you diversify and get other species." I felt that was wonderful advice and have stuck to it thus far. I have Greeks. I would love a RF or another species but I have not learned all there is to know about Greeks yet. I have fostered other species but my time with them have been limited. Plus I belong to a local club that I have support of.

Fashionpriest. When I started with my Greeks I had lots of left over veg. Greens were not my favorite food. But then I began eating more and more to keep it from spoilage. Well now I eat a lot of greens and even some I never thought about eating. I eat cactus, geraniums, pansies, roses, etc.. Pretty much most things my Greeks eat I have eaten either in a salad or cooked. Some are better than others but it is a way to be healthier and keep Greens from spoiling :) Try it who knows you might just fine you like it. Oh and watching them eat and walk and play and just be themselves is as fun with two as it is with 3 or 5. In fact you can get to the point you have too many to really enjoy them.

fashionpriest

5 Year Member
crazyyyy1, i only eat greens, not into killing animals as i am a buddhist/ vegetarian. i spend 12am to 5am (right Now) surfing the net for tortoise and their needs. i have a question, i saw this website where they had a species called Geochelone Elegans X G. Platynota , mixed star tortoise, i feel my boy looks more like this then most of the original stars i have seen in google. how big do they grow?

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
fashionpriest said:
crazyyyy1, i only eat greens, not into killing animals as i am a buddhist/ vegetarian. i spend 12am to 5am (right Now) surfing the net for tortoise and their needs. i have a question, i saw this website where they had a species called Geochelone Elegans X G. Platynota , mixed star tortoise, i feel my boy looks more like this then most of the original stars i have seen in google. how big do they grow?

I know you asked Robyn, but I'm jumping in to respond. "A typical male Star tortoise is about 20 cm (8 inches) in SCL (Straight Carapace Length) while a female may grow as large as 30 cm (12 inches)" This is quoted from the caresheet that Robyn posted in reply to your other post. Here it is again: http://www.chelonia.org/articles/Geleganscare.htm.

fashionpriest

5 Year Member
yes i hve the reply for the star tortoise, but how about the cross bred ones... Geochelone Elegans X G. Platynota they grow up to be the same too?

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
fashionpriest said:
yes i hve the reply for the star tortoise, but how about the cross bred ones... Geochelone Elegans X G. Platynota they grow up to be the same too?

Do a search for the other breed and average the two, I would think. It would be difficult to say since you won't find (I don't think) a care sheet on crosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.