TORTOISE RESCUE NETWORK

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, AZ
I'm sure the first 40 some emails from Mainey were nice. The problem with getting these guys was that none of us ever got a response when we emailed saying we were interested. I think we were all quite frustrated as they would disappear and reappear on CL but never respond to interested parties. That's why we tried the education route...cause it didn't seem they were going to sell them.

Either way, I have them now and they seem pretty good. The male is the one with the most deformities and be has been the list active and eating the most. The female has been very shy so far...maybe she will want to explore more tomorrow.

BTW We have named them! My 12 year old wanted to call the male "Charlie" so I named the female "Lucy". :)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
First off i never started being. Mean in any way. Thats not my mo..i really was trying to get the torts to better living conditions. You know as well as I do how many emails we have both sent. Lets not start pointing fingers or.scolding others. The fact of the matter is that they are safe now.

Vegasarah said:
mainey34 said:
Well guys..I think I might have put a big bug up their butt. And I wasn't very nice about it either. After sending at least 50 emails, and that's not exaggerating. I started to get a little upset. I told them that those poor torts had pyramiding along with MBD and seemed to be pretty severe that they were in lots of pain and they would never get any money for them in the shape they are in. I told them that the condition they are in is cruel. I begged them to forget about the money and just give those poor torts to some one who could dedicate their time to take them to the vet, give them some natural sunlight and good care that they are lacking. I just couldn't stand to see them on there any longer. I had at one point threatened to turn them into the proper authorities also. I'm so sorry. I just couldn't take it any longer. I would just look at those pictures an get so depressed. Buy you know what...I guess it made them think about doing the right thing...thank god.

They have been working for months on this if you go through all the pages of this thread. I'm sure these people have heard about 50 different times from a bunch of different people, and to no avail. We need to focus on getting these torts help, not teaching someone a lesson. I totally get your frustration, seeing animal suffer does that to people. Telling them that they won't get any money will just make them ignore you and **** them off. I know you were trying to do the right thing but all my years in various rescues have taught me that it doesn't get through. Next time just try and offer some constructive feedback by telling them nicely the things they should work on and maybe being more understanding. I think so many people just don't know so they respond negatively to all the hard words. We want to try and just focus on helping these guys. I know you mean well, but maybe save your steam blow-off for the board here where you are among friends! Just a thought <3
Im sure that you have not read thru this entire thread. It was i whom found these torts on CL... it was i whom started contacted with these people. It was i whom tried to educate these people. Please read before posting your comments. Thank you and have a great day....

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
Sorry, when I log in using the cell phone app the threads seem to not stay I the right order. For some reason when I read through it I thought that what you were saying was that the CL people lost contact because of something you said. When I logged on with my laptop there was a whole other page to this thread about actually rescuing the torts. Honest mistake, I was not trying to point fingers. Just was disappointed and trying to offer some advice. Glad that everything worked out.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Well, glad to see that all worked out. A lesson for all of us...read the entire thread before making any kind of criticism. Better yet, hold any criticism or judgement...just offer advice. This way no one gets offended. Having said that, don't forget that "Baby Runt" can be the poster boy for an abused sully. He's three years old and weights only 4 oz! A picture of him next to one who's the same age and in great shape can be an eye-opener for many.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
sibi said:
Well, glad to see that all worked out. A lesson for all of us...read the entire thread before making any kind of criticism. Better yet, hold any criticism or judgement...just offer advice. This way no one gets offended. Having said that, don't forget that "Baby Runt" can be the poster boy for an abused sully. He's three years old and weights only 4 oz! A picture of him next to one who's the same age and in great shape can be an eye-opener for many.
Sibi, i haven't seen any updates on him lately...how is the little guy doing? Hope all is well with him.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Is it possible to get updates on all the Torts and turts that have been recsued?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yes, Baby Runt is growing. I think I posted something about his gain of 1/2 oz the other day. Yes, he's officially 4 1/2 oz. now. He seems happy, and his legs are beginning to show spurs. I'll get a pic of him out soon.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
mainey34 said:
Spn785 said:
Is it possible to get updates on all the Torts and turts that have been recsued?
Wonder if Erica would start a new thread for that?

I think a new thread would be a GREAT idea! I did hear from Waterboy yesterday (he has 3 of the sullys from Phoenix) the "tank torts" and squish scute are doing well. No more soft shell for Squish Scute and they are all very active now! Still looking for their forever homes. Daniel is picking up "Spot" from Erika tomorrow. Ripkabird98 has "Lumpy", I think Sibi has a thread for "Baby Runt"...I gotta check it out! I haven't heard about Mesa since she got to her new home in Texas...Bodatort1????? Charlie and Lucy are still with me...but not for long... :) I think MAYBE the 10th sully is the hatchling that someone gave me to foster and adopt out. I'm trying to find a home for it in AZ. That's all the info I know about the sullys!

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
LuckysGirl007 said:
mainey34 said:
Spn785 said:

I think a new thread would be a GREAT idea! I did hear from Waterboy yesterday (he has 3 of the sullys from Phoenix) the "tank torts" and squish scute are doing well. No more soft shell for Squish Scute and they are all very active now! Still looking for their forever homes. Daniel is picking up "Spot" from Erika tomorrow. Ripkabird98 has "Lumpy", I think Sibi has a thread for "Baby Runt"...I gotta check it out! I haven't heard about Mesa since she got to her new home in Texas...Bodatort1????? Charlie and Lucy are still with me...but not for long... :) I think MAYBE the 10th sully is the hatchling that someone gave me to foster and adopt out. I'm trying to find a home for it in AZ. That's all the info I know about the sullys!

WOW! You are really AWESOME!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
LuckysGirl007 said:
Haha! Just have a problem with saying "no".
We know that. But you do need a break sooner or later. Before you get burned out...Unfortunately, after the holidays i believe we will have more. Now is the time for that break...

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
LuckysGirl007 said:
mainey34 said:
Spn785 said:

Indeed! Lumpy is my buddy :D. I am so happy that I found him. He really is a blast. I had always heard, but never really believed the bond that develops with a tort as smart as a Sulcata. He is actually quite good at problem solving.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Hi Everyone... Sorry Kim computer problems have limited me to surfing/replying by cellphone, So hard to write anything long on the darn things lol. Ok on to Mesa... But 1st my tirade. She has severe pyramiding and MBD.. I saw the pics from Kim but even those don't prepare you for what you see the first time. You want to cry and then you get angry that someone let this happen to such a defensless animal. Everyone who has seen her their first utterance is "WTF". And then people understand why I am part of this rescue group.
Ok now---Mesa is doing great and everyone loves her.. She is still a lil timid but we have only had her a week. She also is still learning her name, Kim (Luckysgirl007) gave her a new name to start her new life with. She has a great appetite and there hasn't been anything she doesn't like. She loves "playtime" when I take the torties from their pens and put them in the big pen for 3-4 hrs a day. They all love that time.. Mesa follows my male Sullie and "patrols" the fence line. Mesa has "found" all the low weak spots for me!! I told Kim that if she wasnt so cute I would have shipped her back!! Mesa is a little on the destructive side. But as Kim pointed out she has a lot of destroying to catch up on, after being kept in a tank for 4+ yrs. The only concern I have for Mesa is that she is "water aggressive" she wasn't given water with her previous owners for 4 years so now she guards one of the water saucers in the big pen she thinks is only hers and rams the other torties away. Anyone else ever seen this before?? I am hoping that when she realizes there will always be enough water she will relax... Can't imagine what all she has been thru . Thank you for this rescue Erika (ShellysMom).

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Cari, I hope you don't mind but I HAVE to post that pic of Mesa stuck!

image-1232219612.png

Oh, and "water aggressive"? Wow! I knew she had some issues with the water but I never imagined her being aggressive over it. For everyone else: I had to take away Mesa's "night time water privilege" because she would try to sleep in it all night.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Lol, That is what happened when Mesa
attempted to climb "Otis" in the corner to get to the Kale I have growing in the garden adjacent to her pen. Mesa keeps me busy :) Haha!!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Ripkabird98 said:
LuckysGirl007 said:
mainey34 said:
Spn785 said:

Indeed! Lumpy is my buddy :D. I am so happy that I found him. He really is a blast. I had always heard, but never really believed the bond that develops with a tort as smart as a Sulcata. He is actually quite good at problem solving.
Agreed..you really dont know how smart they are till you own one. Then to get one whom is a rescue...im telling you they are so much fun. What great personalities!

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Kim, I was surprised by her water aggression too. I anticipated problems with her wanting to sit in it a lot but when she is using the big pen if she sees anyone go near "her" water bowl she runs over and rams them. Ever seen a sully run? The first time I saw it I was FLOORED!!! They can move if they want to. I still soak her every night before bed and she gets upset when I pull her out.. You can see it On her face she is mad.... Poor Mesa!!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
The two sulcatas that Kim has right now i have posted my observations on a thread titled.... A visit with Kim, Charlie, and Lucy from TRN. What wonderful additions to someones family they will make. Yes, the original pictures looked BAD...but in person they really weren't that bad. I posted pictures of them. I fell in love with Charlie and his personality. He has so much energy. If his shell wasnt the way it is you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with him. He cracked me up. And sweet little Lucy. She just has some minor pyramiding. She is active. I didnt observe any problems with her. Just wanted to throw that out there incase anyone is interested....