TORTOISE RESCUE NETWORK

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, AZ
My last 2 fosters arrived in their new homes today! That makes a total of 7 torts TRN has helped in Phoenix. Not bad for just over a month of being around. I know there are several others in other areas and the ones that were helped by info being sent and care sheets passed on. Way to go, Erika!

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
:D
LuckysGirl007 said:
My last 2 fosters arrived in their new homes today! That makes a total of 7 torts TRN has helped in Phoenix. Not bad for just over a month of being around. I know there are several others in other areas and the ones that were helped by info being sent and care sheets passed on. Way to go, Erika!

That is AWESOME!!!! :D I'm really glad to hear that TRN is doing so well!

thelma humpert

5 Year Member
Spn785 said:
LuckysGirl007 said:

These guys need some help.... I would take them but out of room...
[email protected]
It never ends. so sad.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
thelma humpert said:
Spn785 said:
LuckysGirl007 said:

[email protected]
It never ends. so sad.

Can you post the listing and not the email? Where are they?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Spn785 said:
thelma humpert said:
Spn785 said:
LuckysGirl007 said:

[email protected]
It never ends. so sad.

I think this is the posting they were referencing...Phoenix

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Spn785 said:
thelma humpert said:
Spn785 said:
LuckysGirl007 said:

[email protected]
It never ends. so sad.

Aaaaargh. It's the same stupid listing in Phoenix that never responds to anyone. I'm going to email the poster and tell them I'm going to start flagging that ad as spam unless they tell me what's up with those torts, lol. Here I go...

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
jaizei said:
Spn785 said:
thelma humpert said:
Spn785 said:
LuckysGirl007 said:

[email protected]
It never ends. so sad.

I'll see if I can get a response...

I just heard back from them, I'm gonna see what info I can get out of them.

They want $200 for both.

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
Good luck, Erica. I love the line "irregular scutes but healthy"... how could you look at that animal and say that it's healthy? What price is $$$ anyway? No one in their right mind would pa top dollar for those poor guys :(

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Spn785 said:
jaizei said:
Spn785 said:
thelma humpert said:
Spn785 said:

[email protected]
It never ends. so sad.

They want $200 for both.

Holy cow, well done!! I was beginning to think these tortoises didn't really exist. I sent you a PM about coordinating something with Kim. Fingers crossed.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
shellysmom said:
Spn785 said:
jaizei said:
Spn785 said:
thelma humpert said:
[email protected]
It never ends. so sad.

They want $200 for both.

Holy cow, well done!! I was beginning to think these tortoises didn't really exist. I sent you a PM about coordinating something with Kim. Fingers crossed.

WOO HOO! I think if we can move quickly we can get these guys!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Spn785 said:
shellysmom said:
Spn785 said:
jaizei said:
Spn785 said:

They want $200 for both.

WOO HOO! I think if we can move quickly we can get these guys!

I don't know what you said to them, or how you said it, but you are my hero!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! :D

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
shellysmom said:
I don't know what you said to them, or how you said it, but you are my hero!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! :D

I oozed excitement and stupidity. LOL Honestly I'm just lucky.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Spn785 said:
shellysmom said:

I oozed excitement and stupidity. LOL Honestly I'm just lucky.

LOL, ahhhhhhhhhh, excitement and stupidity. I should have thought of that. :D

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Well guys..I think I might have put a big bug up their butt. And I wasn't very nice about it either. After sending at least 50 emails, and that's not exaggerating. I started to get a little upset. I told them that those poor torts had pyramiding along with MBD and seemed to be pretty severe that they were in lots of pain and they would never get any money for them in the shape they are in. I told them that the condition they are in is cruel. I begged them to forget about the money and just give those poor torts to some one who could dedicate their time to take them to the vet, give them some natural sunlight and good care that they are lacking. I just couldn't stand to see them on there any longer. I had at one point threatened to turn them into the proper authorities also. I'm so sorry. I just couldn't take it any longer. I would just look at those pictures an get so depressed. Buy you know what...I guess it made them think about doing the right thing...thank god.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
***UPDATE***

Hi everyone,

We've been busy! In the past 7 weeks we have scrambled to rescue 10 sulcatas, 2 box turtles, and 1 redfooot. We have reunited 1 lost sully with its mommy, and helped 4 dedicated sully owners get vet care for their sick torts. Now TRN will be taking a break for the holidays to rest up for more rescues in 2013.

If you find a tort in need that lives in your area, and you can foster it, please send me a PM or email for assistance. Do not post urgent links here, as I will not be checking this thread on a regular basis again until after the holidays.

Thanks so much to everyone who has helped make this happen.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
So, as I'm driving out to pick up these sullies I am just thinking how much I wish I could tell them I am part of the rescue group that has been emailing and trying to get these guys. Tell them WE know they are not healthy and we also know they are suffering and just desperate to help them. Maybe as soon as I confirm I got them and get out of there someone can email them if the ad is still up.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
LuckysGirl007 said:
So, as I'm driving out to pick up these sullies I am just thinking how much I wish I could tell them I am part of the rescue group that has been emailing and trying to get these guys. Tell them WE know they are not healthy and we also know they are suffering and just desperate to help them. Maybe as soon as I confirm I got them and get out of there someone can email them if the ad is still up.

I still have the guys email, so I will let him know. It was my plan all along to do that.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Well, got back and everyone all situated enough that I have a few minutes to write before I have to pick up kids from school. I have an extra teenager this week (YES, torts AND KIDS!) and she goes to a different high school than mine. LOL So for the next 2 days I am responsible for getting FIVE girls to and from school at 3 different schools!

I was worried about the location of these torts. It's a very bad area. It didn't seem too bad once I got there. The yards were taken care of for the most part and since it was the middle of the day all the "bad guys" were probably sleeping. It was a lot of older (for Phoenix) neighborhood. The guy had a cute little front yard with some decorations out and a little patio thing and wooden walkway. There were two signs on the big dead trees in front of his house. "HUGE turtles for sale", "Christmas gifts", etc. So, at least I knew I was in the right place! At the front door there were several "business cards" stating "take one" with his contact info so you could buy a tortoise from him. It was an older gentleman. He had a blue tooth looking hearing aid thing on, but he could hear if I talked loudly and he could speak just fine....thank goodness!!!! He was the only one I could see and the house wasn't completely trashed with old food and stuff so when he told me they were inside I felt it was safe to go in. The whole 2 rooms that I was in I couldn't really tell what they were supposed to be...I'm guessing the first one was a living room and maybe the second a dinning room. But he had tanks of reptiles all over! I know I said I wanted to fill my house with torts....but not quite like that! He had these guys ready for me in the laundry room. They were each in some doubled up lids you use for a full size sheet cake. He said he cleaned them all up for me. ??? They were MUCH cleaner than Mesa though, for sure! This guy still has all those hatchlings that get posted on CL. There was about a 20 gallon tank FILLED with babies! I bet AT LEAST 20...probably more. They had food and light...no water...but I think they were eating iceburg (so maybe that could count as some water). They were small for as old as I am guessing they are...about 2-3 months. They looked like brand new hatchlings and they weren't active at all. There were around 3 other tanks that housed some lizard-type reptiles but I don't know what kind. Each tank had a price sticker on it for how much each animal was. He gave me a 3 page care sheet...I didn't read it yet...but told me it mostly applies to the babies since the big guys live outside. He had some UVB bulbs in boxes hanging on his wall with a price tag of $22 (they were the coil ones). I asked him the 2 torts I was getting were the parents of the babies and he said no but the parents were outside if I wanted to see them. I thought...might as well. He also told me (and quite defensively) that he did NOT raise these ones. He got them in a trade of some sort. I forget how long he said he had them...but not very long. I bet he listed them on CL as soon as he got them. The back yard was only dirt but very clean! Lots of plywood and stuff but it was all stacked and shaped to make tunnels and shade so it looked pretty nice. It was a good size back yard and HIS torts were pretty much PERFECTLY smooth! I saw the male and female and the huge tunnel the male had dug. He made sure I knew that I was getting ones that could/would do that! They were large...at least 80-100 pounds I would guess. He said he had raised them since they were about the size of his hand.

I think/hope maybe these guys aren't in as bad of shape as we thought they were. The big guy is 10 years old and the smaller female is 6. The female's pyramids don't look to be uneven or "saggy" looking like the male. She seems pretty even. The male has been eating and staring down my boxer through the pen. The female hasn't come out of her shell yet...literally.

He told me to tell Stephen thank you and he thanked me. Then he told me to send him some business for those babies...HA! Everyone I know that wants a tort has got a tort...that's why we have to ship all the others I've gotten!

Well, I have to go pick up my first kiddo....public high school = very long pick up line! AND apparently if you live within at least 3 miles of the school you have to PAY to ride the bus!

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
Well guys..I think I might have put a big bug up their butt. And I wasn't very nice about it either. After sending at least 50 emails, and that's not exaggerating. I started to get a little upset. I told them that those poor torts had pyramiding along with MBD and seemed to be pretty severe that they were in lots of pain and they would never get any money for them in the shape they are in. I told them that the condition they are in is cruel. I begged them to forget about the money and just give those poor torts to some one who could dedicate their time to take them to the vet, give them some natural sunlight and good care that they are lacking. I just couldn't stand to see them on there any longer. I had at one point threatened to turn them into the proper authorities also. I'm so sorry. I just couldn't take it any longer. I would just look at those pictures an get so depressed. Buy you know what...I guess it made them think about doing the right thing...thank god.

They have been working for months on this if you go through all the pages of this thread. I'm sure these people have heard about 50 different times from a bunch of different people, and to no avail. We need to focus on getting these torts help, not teaching someone a lesson. I totally get your frustration, seeing animal suffer does that to people. Telling them that they won't get any money will just make them ignore you and **** them off. I know you were trying to do the right thing but all my years in various rescues have taught me that it doesn't get through. Next time just try and offer some constructive feedback by telling them nicely the things they should work on and maybe being more understanding. I think so many people just don't know so they respond negatively to all the hard words. We want to try and just focus on helping these guys. I know you mean well, but maybe save your steam blow-off for the board here where you are among friends! Just a thought <3