Tortoise Sanctuary

LadyBlaze

Location (City and/or State)
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Hi I was wondering what the best options are for me when it comes to rehoming a red foot tortoise? I would love to find a place somewhat like a sanctuary so she has space to roam, etc. I live in Illinois

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
Hi I was wondering what the best options are for me when it comes to rehoming a red foot tortoise? I would love to find a place somewhat like a sanctuary so she has space to roam, etc. I live in Illinois

Check out the Iowa Big and Small Tortoise Rescue on Facebook. They work to find good homes for tortoises in the Midwest.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'd be cautious of any place calling itself a "sanctuary".
One that comes to my mind is a place south of me, in HOMESTEAD Florida.
He actually takes in your beloved animal then resells them to the highest bidder.
He actually joined this group a few years back. I'd previously dealt with him.
I called him on his practices. Haven't seen him since.
There is also a "sanctuary" I saw recently on OFFER UP in Miami. In the photo, there were two Redfoot, a Leopard, three Sulcata and two German Shepard dogs, all together. The tortoises all eating what looked like ICEBERG and fruit.
SOME sanctuary....
I'm sure that they actually exist. And if you are contacted by one, ask to go for a visit first.
Be careful.
Just find a new, loving owner.
Redfoot are very popular and always in demand by great people.
There will likely be multiple people to pick from.

LadyBlaze

Arlington Heights, Illinois
I'd be cautious of any place calling itself a "sanctuary".
One that comes to my mind is a place south of me, in HOMESTEAD Florida.
He actually takes in your beloved animal then resells them to the highest bidder.
He actually joined this group a few years back. I'd previously dealt with him.
I called him on his practices. Haven't seen him since.
There is also a "sanctuary" I saw recently on OFFER UP in Miami. In the photo, there were two Redfoot, a Leopard, three Sulcata and two German Shepard dogs, all together. The tortoises all eating what looked like ICEBERG and fruit.
SOME sanctuary....
I'm sure that they actually exist. And if you are contacted by one, ask to go for a visit first.
Be careful.
Just find a new, loving owner.
Redfoot are very popular and always in demand by great people.
There will likely be multiple people to pick from.
Rather than find a sanctuary- I would look for another private keeper/enthusiast to rehome your tortoise. Someone who has knowledge, cares and has some space.

Thank you! I am super protective of my tortoise so I will NOT let her go to just anyone. I want her to have a home with an expert so she will have the best living area!