Tortoise sanctuary

Tanyabobanya

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I’m in over my head with tortoises. Does anyone know of a safe and reputable tortoise sanctuary in or near Los Angeles that would take in one or more desert tortoises? Thanks,
Tanya

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are quite a few chapters of the California Turtle and Tortoise Club in SoCal. Find a chapter near you and give them up. The adoption chairperson will make sure they go to a good home:

https://tortoise.org/cttc/cttcmore.html

Tanyabobanya

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Are these adult tortoises and how many is more?
Two of them are about 5 years old and two will be a year in November. I’m thinking about keeping one. I’ve never hibernated them and am getting nervous because though it’s hot here, it’s probably getting to be that time. Last winter was like an indoor tortoise house here because of the rain. I just want them to be happy thrive.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If your only cocern/worry is hibernation.
I'm sure you can get assistance with that here on the forum.
Are you sure that they must hibernate?
Floridas indigenous Gopher tortoises do not here in south Florida. It simply never gets cold.
Your desert tortoises are close cousins.

Tanyabobanya

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
If your only cocern/worry is hibernation.
I'm sure you can get assistance with that here on the forum.
Are you sure that they must hibernate?
Floridas indigenous Gopher tortoises do not here in south Florida. It simply never gets cold.
Your desert tortoises are close cousins.
Hibernation is one concern because it does rain and get cooler here in Los Angeles and I end up having to block off doors and entry ways, make do not enter signs etc while they are indoors. I have 2 kids and lots of foot traffic. We have a basement but I waited too long last winter. They are all siblings and keeping 2 together, especially for the babies is not possible. For now I have sandboxes so they can get sunshine. And 2 separate indoor enclosures. The older ones share an outdoor enclosure I tried to divide with a block of wood but they trampled it over. I bring them inside at night if it’s going to be in the 60’s and have 2 separate bookshelves they sleep in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like you just need some help figuring out the housing.

Tanyabobanya

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Sounds like you just need some help figuring out the housing.

I’ve been trying to figure it out for years and realize that having 4 separate enclosures for 4 tortoises in a backyard with kids and trampolining is not what I want for my life now. I’ve spent so much time and energy on this. These come from the tortoises I grew up with and are still living at my moms house. She gave me 2 eggs so my kids could experience the miracle of birth, but it’s consumed my life. I feel terrible but I also feel like they’d be happier in a huge space with other tortoises other than sibling and places to wander. that’s sunshine the baby..

Attachments

• CC8B74A0-1D42-4C59-B366-70612CAB0280.jpeg
    CC8B74A0-1D42-4C59-B366-70612CAB0280.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38

Tanyabobanya

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Thank you. I’ll try this..I emailed the Pasadena chapter but no answer.

dmilam

North Texas
In case you (or any member reading this) were thinking about adopting them, the law says that California's desert tortoises cannot leave California.

I have my little Greek hatchling and no desire to adopt anymore.

MomOfTMNT

california
Hi! I'm with the CTTC - Chino Chapter. Were you able to get a hold of someone from the Pasadena Chapter?

Tanyabobanya

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
No.. but I only tried once or twice.. I found one baby tortoise a good home. The 2 older ones I’d love to do the same even though my 11 year old is making me feel guilty .

MomOfTMNT

california
The guilt is real! it's so hard but good to know your limitations as they are very long-term pets. When you are ready please don't hesitate to contact me and I can assist you. Make sure to have the one you already rehomed, get registered so that the new owner can receive a tag to place on them to show proof of ownership just in case they decide to take a walk without letting their owners know.