Tortoise Shed Ideas?

Nellie Rose

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hello everyone! I've started my search for my young Sulcatas first shed and wanted some tips from those more experienced than I.
I am looking for something 10×10 or 8×12. I was looking to buy a shed and then modify it for my needs such as adding insulation and heat.

What is the best way to go about this and is there a particular model or any features recommended?

Would a metal shed work if I add insulation on the inside or would it still be too cold?

What should the shed contain as far as furniture or decoration?

Can it have windows or will it loose too much heat in the winter?

Any tips or tricks from those also keeping large tropical tortoises in a colder climate? I am in Maryland between Baltimore and Washington.

How should i build her outdoor pen so it is escape proof? I worry about her digging out, shes quite the little excavator.

I plan to heat using a radiant oil heater and a pig blanket, she'll live in here once she outgrows her current enclosure until she is big enough to roam the yard, and then inside a large heated garage in the winter once she outgrows the shed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have an appropriate garage that you can dedicate to her and heat it, why not use that as her shed now and just board off a size more suitable for her now and easier to heat. Then as she grows, you can expand the garage area. Save the money on the shed and reinforce the fence.
I have leopards, they don't dig or burrow so I just have private fencing but there is chain link in front of it. Chain link was here and we needed the privacy for them
Some have buried cinder blocks down about 12 inches or so and others have buried fencing. Others I believe just fill in the burrow hole and place plywood over it if it's in a area you don't want it to be.

Nellie Rose

Maryland
If you have an appropriate garage that you can dedicate to her and heat it, why not use that as her shed now and just board off a size more suitable for her now and easier to heat. Then as she grows, you can expand the garage area. Save the money on the shed and reinforce the fence.
I have leopards, they don't dig or burrow so I just have private fencing but there is chain link in front of it. Chain link was here and we needed the privacy for them
Some have buried cinder blocks down about 12 inches or so and others have buried fencing. Others I believe just fill in the burrow hole and place plywood over it if it's in a area you don't want it to be.
The garage needs to be temporary accommodation in the winter because my father uses it in the summer, and works out of it to run his HVAC business. But during the winter it is not in use so we're blocking off about half of it just for the coldest couple months.

For spring summer and fall she'll be in the shed, and have the outdoor pen to run around in.

I'm thinking I dig a trench around the perimeter a couple of feet deep and fill with cinder blocks, and have a short cinderblock wall with chain link in front of it.
I got a quote from a local company for $3100 for a shed, I'm thinking about just buying one from home depot, of course then I'd need to transport myself, which I can do, it's just more hassle.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't do a metal or plastic shed. They are much harder to insulate and heat.
If you don't need the shed for winter, a insulated heated night box like Tom has a post on would be all you should need for spring, summer and fall

Nellie Rose

Maryland
I wouldn't do a metal or plastic shed. They are much harder to insulate and heat.
If you don't need the shed for winter, a insulated heated night box like Tom has a post on would be all you should need for spring, summer and fall
Ok thank you. I think I want a full size shed for the fall months when it's a little chilly but she'll be able to walk around during the day, also for more overhead storage space.
I've seen his designs though, and spoken to him about it. Maybe I'll start with a night box and move up as she grows. I shouldn't need a bigger enclosure for at least a year but obviously it's something I'm thinking about.