Tortoise shell..Abraisions? Defects?

CrunchyBrother

Location (City and/or State)
Bellingham
IMG_20210614_141911813.jpg
Hi all, this is my first post here! Please educate me if I'm wrong in starting a thread for this.

This is my Russian tortoise, Tyson, when my husband and i got him 3 months ago he was estimated at around 2 years old. He is eating well and is active but came with these Abraisions or divots on the top of his scutes, almost like he has been scratched accross something by his shell. I check him for shell rot very regularly, I dont think he has that, and I'd say that these areas have improved since i've had him.

I was told he was captive bred when i purchased him but it was revealed after that he is wild caught.

Any insight on what these areas are?

He has his first wellness exam booked in about a month and he seems healthy and happy but i want to make sure that there is nothing i can do immediately and that these arent in need of urgent vetinary assistance.

Happy to post further pics if it will help identify.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome to TFO!

Tyson looks like a happy and healthy tortoise!

Did you purchase him from Petco? Petco only sells wild caught tortoises. Also, there is a law that the tortoise must be at least 4" long, so they are usually in the range of 5-10 years old. There's no way to know for sure.

The scrapes and dents and bangs on his shell are just wear and tear from his wild years. They don't do him any harm, and I think of them as a badge of honor. He has tales to tell of how he got those marks!

If by chance you aren't certain that he is indeed a he, if you post a picture of his plastron, showing the tail area clearly, we can help you determine that.

In case you haven't found it yet, here is our care sheet for Russians. After you've read it, please come back with questions. Pet stores, most vets, and even some breeders will give terrible advice re' torts because they don't know better and don't bother to learn. Facebook groups, at least many of them, also give out lots of bad advice. So please ask questions...we are happy to explain why we recommend what we do.

And if you need any help with indoor or outdoor enclosures, we're here.

CrunchyBrother

Bellingham
Thank you for your reply!

No i didn't purchase him from petco, its great to know that those marks aren't harming him. He's around 4.5 inches (straight overhead measurement) and weighs 364g.

I'm pretty sure he's a he, from what ive read. he has a long tail that points sideways.

Ive found a localish vet that deals with basic tortoise care, thats where he is going for his 'well child' visit. But...i am going to find a specialized vet and get him acquainted incase of problems.

I'll post a few habitat photos when hes awake.

Thanks for your help!