Tortoise Shell Growth Questions/Concerns

hermantort

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello! I have a few questions about my tortoise's shell growth and I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me. I'll attach some pictures for reference. I have a Hermann's Tortoise whose age I'm not 100% sure on, I would say anywhere from 8 months to a year old.

My first question is I noticed this white line growing directly in the middle of his shell. It is a little soft to the touch, and it definitely wasn't there before. Could this just be another ring forming in his shell? If so, why is it only growing horizontally through the middle?
IMG_6345.jpg

My next question is can anyone see any signs of pyramiding? I think every tortoise owner has a fear of pyramiding and I would just like to not worry if I don't have to
IMG_6376.jpg
IMG_6375.jpg

I hope you can see the pictures good enough. Let me know if any are hard to see :)
Thank you to anyone who can answer my questions!!

AlfalfaAlfie

California
Hello! I have a few questions about my tortoise's shell growth and I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me. I'll attach some pictures for reference. I have a Hermann's Tortoise whose age I'm not 100% sure on, I would say anywhere from 8 months to a year old.

My first question is I noticed this white line growing directly in the middle of his shell. It is a little soft to the touch, and it definitely wasn't there before. Could this just be another ring forming in his shell? If so, why is it only growing horizontally through the middle?
View attachment 287970

My next question is can anyone see any signs of pyramiding? I think every tortoise owner has a fear of pyramiding and I would just like to not worry if I don't have to
View attachment 287971
View attachment 287972

I hope you can see the pictures good enough. Let me know if any are hard to see :)
Thank you to anyone who can answer my questions!!
Does it seem to hurt your tortoise if you touch it?

AlfalfaAlfie

California
Not at all. He actually seems to enjoy when I rub his shell
Hmmm, I’ve heard that in some cases, white lines are formed( especially around scutes) when either a tortoise is being over fed, or when they’re going through a growth spurt. Not sure if this is the case with your tort but it is a possibility.

hermantort

Ohio
Hmmm, I’ve heard that in some cases, white lines are formed( especially around scutes) when either a tortoise is being over fed, or when they’re going through a growth spurt. Not sure if this is the case with your tort but it is a possibility.
I feed him typically one salad a day. Sometimes if he's awake when I get up for work, I'll throw a little bit of greens in there for him. He also stops eating when he is full, he'll walk away with some greens still on his plate if he's had enough.