shell rot?

daboss329

Can someone evaluate those pictures and see if my sulcata is pyramiding on the front middle side of his shell if you can see it sticking out a little bit also idk if he has shell rot under him because his shell is kinda pitting under the middle line???

1422674702514-1670174837.jpg 1422674729015114244618.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't see anything to be concerned about. Maybe a very slight start of pyramding, but I think it's more just the lines between the scutes. Keep him in a closed chamber like in Toms threads below and warm water soaks every day and he should be a nice smooth sulcata.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Can someone evaluate those pictures and see if my sulcata is pyramiding on the front middle side of his shell if you can see it sticking out a little bit also idk if he has shell rot under him because his shell is kinda pitting under the middle line???

The tortoise appears somewhat dry....I would offer him some long warm water soaks a couple times a day for a few weeks at least....do you offer the tort water for drinking/soaking in his enclosure? What is the temps you are keeping the torts enclosure at during the day and the night? What is the substrate you are using in the enclosure?

daboss329

The tortoise appears somewhat dry....I would offer him some long warm water soaks a couple times a day for a few weeks at least....do you offer the tort water for drinking/soaking in his enclosure? What is the temps you are keeping the torts enclosure at during the day and the night? What is the substrate you are using in the enclosure?
About 80 in the day like 70 at night humidity is at like 30 40 almost all the time i spray the tank sometimes and i give him like 5 10 minute soaks a day and he has a water boal and his subsrate is coco husk

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
About 80 in the day like 70 at night humidity is at like 30 40 almost all the time i spray the tank sometimes and i give him like 5 10 minute soaks a day and he has a water boal and his subsrate is coco husk
make sure the temps don't drop below 85 during the day and 80 at night. cold temps an cause a repository infection. also the substrate needs to be moist with a humidity level at 80%+. make the soaks 20 minutes to 30 minutes.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

I really would offer much much longer soaks....I would offer soaks of at least 30 minutes in water that you keep warm....the tortoise will eventually drink as well as absorption occurs while the tort is soaking...so the longer soaks are beneficial in a variety of ways....please do increase the soak times and be sure to spray the food you offer the tort as well, this is another way to get water in ..... :D