Tortoise shell problems?

Location (City and/or State)
tampa
Hey everyone, I have a Russian tortoise, and his shell isn’t looking so healthy. For his diet, I’m feeding him some weeds from outside, some collard or mustard greens, some hibiscus flowers and purslane. But his shell seems to be curving a lot! Is this because of overfeeding?IMG_1562601669.588001.jpgIMG_1562601686.694444.jpgIMG_1562601700.747511.jpg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I think I see a couple of things going on, hard to know specifically from your good in-focus images.

1) it could be a lack of enough calcium for the bone part of the shell to grow at the same rate as the enamel part of the shell. It's almost like the spine length is not growing balanced with the rest of the tortoise.

2) sometimes the junction between the edge of each bone segment may be damaged and simply not grow anymore or fast enough to keep a balance with parts of the shell that don't have damage like that.

The damage may, and often is not noticeable any other way than, seeing the out of balance growth. Possible solutions that may or may not apply...

Make sure the tortoise is exposed to direct (not through glass) natural light. Increase the food variety, making sure to offer foods with a large C: P ratio greater than 4:1. Opuntia cactus, Escarole, Endive, some clover/alfalfa (up to 5%) of total food offered all have great C: P ratios. So does plantain ( the leafy weed, not the banana).

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
tampa
I think I see a couple of things going on, hard to know specifically from your good in-focus images.

1) it could be a lack of enough calcium for the bone part of the shell to grow at the same rate as the enamel part of the shell. It's almost like the spine length is not growing balanced with the rest of the tortoise.

2) sometimes the junction between the edge of each bone segment may be damaged and simply not grow anymore or fast enough to keep a balance with parts of the shell that don't have damage like that.

The damage may, and often is not noticeable any other way than, seeing the out of balance growth. Possible solutions that may or may not apply...

Make sure the tortoise is exposed to direct (not through glass) natural light. Increase the food variety, making sure to offer foods with a large C: P ratio greater than 4:1. Opuntia cactus, Escarole, Endive, some clover/alfalfa (up to 5%) of total food offered all have great C: P ratios. So does plantain ( the leafy weed, not the banana).

Okay, I’ll try adding those in his diet. Also, will this affect him in any way negatively? I know about MBD, but I’ve been keeping him outside with natural light. Also, so is the cause for this because of too much protein in his diet?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Okay, I’ll try adding those in his diet. Also, will this affect him in any way negatively? I know about MBD, but I’ve been keeping him outside with natural light. Also, so is the cause for this because of too much protein in his diet?
too much protein/lack of hydration can be seen by lots of hard urates. If the urates are soft, like paste or egg whites, then there is enough hydration, and protein would be less a concern, based on the diet you have described.

tampa
too much protein/lack of hydration can be seen by lots of hard urates. If the urates are soft, like paste or egg whites, then there is enough hydration, and protein would be less a concern, based on the diet you have described.

Okay, thank you so much for your help! I’ll get him checked with the vet as well. Hopefully the damage isn’t too bad and he will be alright.