Tortoise substrate. Orchid Bark

Location (City and/or State)
Reading
Does anyone know when I will have to change the substrate when using orchid bark. Every month or every few months??

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I use orchid bark in all my enclosures. With young tortoises that are soaked most every day, you will probably never have to change the substrate. Daily soaks stimulates a tortoise to release water and poop and dramatically changes the amount of waste in an enclosure. That also tremendously helps with the possibility of the buildup of some bacteria and parasite loads in a tortoise kept in an indoor enclosure.

With an older/larger tortoise the orchid bark does eventually start to break down and compact with debris and water and some poop that you don't pick up before trampled. I end up changing the substrate out maybe once a year with larger (5"-8") tortoises.

Reading
I use orchid bark in all my enclosures. With young tortoises that are soaked most every day, you will probably never have to change the substrate. Daily soaks stimulates a tortoise to release water and poop and dramatically changes the amount of waste in an enclosure. That also tremendously helps with the possibility of the buildup of some bacteria and parasite loads in a tortoise kept in an indoor enclosure.

With an older/larger tortoise the orchid bark does eventually start to break down and compact with debris and water and some poop that you don't pick up before trampled. I end up changing the substrate out maybe once a year with larger (5"-8") tortoises.
Thanks